force 120 1992 head gasket

jaba

Seaman
Hello to you all!<br /><br />Im planning to change head gasket to my engine. What gasket(s) do I need beside the head gasket?<br /><br />Is it difficult to change and do you consider wise to change head bolts? what is the torque for head bolts? :eek: <br /><br />Thank you for your answers.

WhiteHorse

Seaman
Re: force 120 1992 head gasket

Get a service manual. It's ok to be gung-ho and do it, but you sound a little like a whiplash accident about to happen. I think that's why noone has answered you.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why do you want to change the head gasket? Is there a problem with the engine now? If you are looking for the source of a problem, replaced the exhaust cover gaskets as well. This way you can check for piston scoring as well while the cover is off. They are relatively easy to change but the bolts can sometimes be a pain if the engine has been used in salt water.

jaba

Seaman

Hi Brian,<br /><br />Reason for my question about head gasket is that the engine run hot last summer, and after it started to dump fuel through exhaustpipe. Or at least some, the trim was leaking (still is..) as well so it left oily leaks after. I wrote here for this problem and some of these people told me that the gasket might be blown, caused by overheating. I´m open for new ideas though.<br /><br />Thank you for your reply

jaba

Seaman

forgot to tell you, I´m gonna do the compression test before doing anything, of course :)

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The compression test is a good place to start. When was the last water pump and t'stat put in? Are you using it in salt or fresh water? Are all cylinders firing ok? How's the idle and wot? Was it OVERHEATED bad or just run hot? I know, lots of questions! I just sold my 2 120s last fall. Stbd engine ate a ring. Rebuilt the port side 2 years ago. 3 of the 4 mounting brackets were cracked and @ $150 each plus a rebuild, just couldn't justify it. My transom was rotted so that had to be fixed also. Last fall really stunk!

jaba

Seaman

The impeller and cup or hub, how do you say it, have been changed last summer. After that it has been run for about 10 hours. I use it in freash water but the guy who had it before me used it in salt water for two years. Firing is good, engines idles and and gives high revs very good. I think it overheated badly, the buzzer was not working properly. Fixed the buzzer and after that it went on almost instanly, had to drive with almost idele revs to keep the engine cool.

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulling the head may be a good idea since it was overheated badly. Clean the head surface and then lay it on a peice of plate glass. Then see if it wobbles or lays completely flat. This is a easy way to see if the head is warped. If it is, then have it surfaced. While you're at it, pull the exhaust cover and check this area for leaks as well, it is also a known problem area. The plate between the cover and block are known to go bad (warp). I would go back to that water pump and replace the entire pump assembly as well as the thermostat. No product is perfect and you may have received a bad pump. As a former parts dept. manager, I have seen this on several occasions.