Water problems

stevebb

Recruit
I have a 1985 force, 85 horse. While at idle on the lake I have a good steady flow of water coming from the outlet holes, but at a higher speed you can not see or fill water coming from these holes. It hasnt over heated as I have tried by running it for long periods but when I come to a stop the water is only warm. I have a working sensor that has never sounded. I have replaced the impellar and there seems to be no blockage. Does the water exit some where else.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water problems

Yes, at higher speeds, the cooling water is "sucked" out thru the exhaust.<br /><br />The water should never be "hot".<br />Your thermostat is about 135 degrees, and the water is constantly replaced with cool lake water.

stevebb

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I went back and saw some post about the same subject. I think they left me more confussed. I wonder now if I need to install a temp gauge to make sure I dont over heat?

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could add a temp gauge, it certainly wouldn't hurt and it would give you additional piece of mind. <br />It does get confusing with all the different motors out there. My father in law has an 85 horse Merc Jet drive on his jet sled so when he seen my motor running he had me convinced that mine should run just like his. Ya it should, except for about 20 years of improved technology and $8000 bucks.

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Steve,<br /><br />They got a manual here at the iboats.com site. Or your local boat house should carry a copy. Or you could try looking around on the internet. I have the Chalmers manual and it does tell you how to test your alarms and your gauges. Hooking up a gauge should be fairly simple, but I have never added a temp. gauge to an outboard. If you can't find the info you need, I am sure at least one or two people on this forum would know. :p <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=25195&current_category=manual&cart_id=876593975

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A water pressure guage may be more helpful, and cheaper, and easier to install. And you don't need a separate sending unit.<br /><br />Water temp guage will tell you you are too hot, AFTER you get hot.<br /><br />Water pressure guage will tell you as soon as the water flow drops. You just put a "t" in the water hose, connect the plastic tube to it, then connect it to the guage. Kits run about $50.

cristo68

Recruit

i also have an 85 hp force o/b. while your motor is running, pull your cowling off and check to see if there is water in the mid-section. there is a boot that should be snug against the mid-cowling. if no water, you could pull your thermostat out & run w/out thermostat to see how things flow. be careful, sometimes you can still use the gasket if not, get another one.