Force Newbie

lestat210

Cadet
Hello to all. I just bought a 1991 invader with what I believe to be a 1990(?) Force 125. The engine hasn't been run in around 2 years. I've heard (through the forum) that these motors, while they can be reliable, need a little "special care". What kind of care is everyone talking about that you wouldn't want to perform on any other motor? Also, I know that I need to perform a "decarb"(?), flush the tank and so forth, but what else should be done? Hoses, carb rebuild, impeller, and things of the like? The motor only has about 100 hours or so on it...is this alot? Thanks in advance.

alcan

Commander
Re: Force Newbie

Hi Lestat<br />Welcome to the board. You basicly take care of your force motor just like any other brand. The problem is that a lot of folks that are newbies neglect to take some very important steps when first getting into boating. This would be to take a Coast Gaurd class (boat operating and safety) or boat,motor and trailer maintance courses. In my state they make eveyone go to drivers ed. before they can operate a car, but not a boat. Caring for a boat,motor and trailer really isn't very hard and doesn't really require that much time. And unless you neglect the maintance it really doesn't cost a whole bunch either. If courses are not available in your area, then go to the library for books and do your own course. To properly opperate and maintain your Force motor I would suggest that you purchess an after market service manual. I know, all this stuff sounds dull and boring. In the long run a good education will allow you to enjoy more fun in the summer with a lot less bummers.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Add to your list, a new fuel pump diaphram, new spark plugs, thermostat, and a complete new water pump every couple years, change lower unit oil and put new gasket/washers on the fill and drain screws. If you put new plug wires on, make sure you use "solid wire core' wires, not carbon fiber. Also a good idea to install a water pressure guage, as an overheat can be deadly on Force engines.<br /><br />Decarb info here:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000016

lestat210

Cadet

Thanks to all for the info!! Seems like I've got a lot of work ahead of me......<br /><br />Thanks again.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Most of this stuff is recommended maintenance on all outboards. Its just that while some brands are more forgiving of misuse, the Force motor will not last long if neglected.<br /><br />Get yourself a manual and read up on how to do it. Make yourself a list and get the parts. Then spend a weekend getting real intimate with your motor. :p Good Luck