gas out of all 3 carbs.

mallas

Recruit
I have a 1993 90hp force motor, gas comes out of all 3 carbs at wot and boat wont plane dont get full power,is it timing?help.....

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: gas out of all 3 carbs.

Start with the basics. Check compression first. Check for good spark. Even though you have gas through the carbs is it sufficient or is it too much and you have an overly rich condition. If it all checks okay then move on to other things. Usually on Force and Chrysler motors since they are not highly advanced in engineering you will find the basics will quickly lead you to the problem. By the way timing will usually not make a sudden change unless there is a boken part etc. Checking it will be a good thing but in my opinion I doubt it is the problem. I have had outboards for 20 years and the only time I have had to retime and engine is when I had one apart for repair or if someone started adjusting things that did not know what they were adjusting.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

One possibility is that the reed valves have broken or stuck open for some reason. This would allow pressure to reverse out of the crankcase and force air/fuel mix back thru the carbs.<br /><br />Did this problem just start recently, all at once?<br />Or has it been a gradual or long term problem?

mallas

Recruit

Ok. here is the history of this boat.The boat is a jetstar 90 hp. force motor with a jet driveThe motor at first it wound star, so i had taking it to a shop "o/b tech". and he change stator.Motor starts fine now.Take boat out to the lake no power at wot it will not plane .I taking boat back to O/b tech. he change lcd unit no luck. he tryed all he could no luck, he toll me motor has water in cylinders needs to r/r motor.Boat at home now.I checked reeds look good no broken ones and not stuck.Take out head look for water in cylinders no water found.#2 cylinder small scrratch on it.Carbs take apart cleaned and chacked all parts look good.Timing turned screw in and out but did not marked screws starting point of turn not sure if timing ok. at this time.Is my next step to sink this boat or what?Please help...........

mallas

Recruit

This problem start all at once, at first no power at wot then gas out of carbs.

mallas

Recruit

What is the timing on this motor and in what rpms to time it?I have no manual for it. Compression is 155 to 165 and spark is good too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Its definitely time to spend $25 on a manual. I prefer the Clymer manual.<br /><br />When was the last time the fuel pump was rebuilt? Just kind of thinking out loud here, but is it possible the pump is leaking fuel into the crankcase, which is then returned to the carbs via the recirc system, causing a flooding situation?<br /><br />Is there evidence of water having steam cleaned a piston or spark plug?<br />If not, why did the tech say there was water in the cylinders?<br /><br />If the tech replaced the stator, he had to remove the flywheel, and could have broke the flywheel key, or messed up the timing.<br /><br />I would have him verify the timing and give him the opportunity to repair a possible mistake.

mallas

Recruit

Roscoe, the tech. sayed that #2 spark plug was cleaned like new and that is evidence of water in cylinder, thats the scratched up one.How do the water gets in to the cylinder?Is it becouse of the scratch?and if so do i need to r/r?Roscoe can i order this manual on the net? I chacked the fuel pump and all parts are good no evidence of a leak found.I changed exhaust gasket no help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can get the manual right here, from iboats.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=1959&current_category=force manual&cart_id=866655900 <br /><br />Most likely entry points of water would be from exhaust manifold, or head gasket. If there was a head gasket leak, there may be evidence (small marks) on the gasket surface. It would only be a small leak, drawing water into the cylinder, and steam cleaning the interior.<br /><br />Interesting that the compression is as high as it is.<br /><br />Check the rings for any breaks or missing pieces.<br />This may be the source of your scratch. You could possibly replace a broken ring without a major rebuild, if the scratching isn't too bad.<br /><br />I guess I would get the manual and see what it has to say. Then I would get a new head gasket and install according to manual directions.