MERCRUISER 4.3 MPI fuel pump failure

tomiro

Cadet
Hello there! Our mercruiser 4.3 MPI (2003 / 130 hrs) recently gave up working. Had been running wonderfully when I decided to stop, relax a bit.<br />When I decided to restart the engine:<br />* Start very shortly at 200 rpm then stop<br />* Restarting again rotation ok but no start.<br />* Notice change in sound of the fuel electric pump<br /><br />Mechanic told me he checked: <br />* Water in filter (little) <br />* fuel filter seems ok <br />* pump Volt Amp feeding ok<br />* Pump pressure (half the recommended values)<br /><br />I am not sure wether there is a device close to the pump to control fuel pressure, if not this means pump is gone? I guess! and also any comments what can cause it (I read somebody has changed 3 pumps in 2 years on a 5.0 MPI) debris<br />blocking filters ??? etc<br /><br />* There was always enough fuel (no dry run)<br /><br />I'd like to find out so to minimise chances of reoccurance.<br /><br />Many thanks in advance for any comments.<br />tommy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: MERCRUISER 4.3 MPI fuel pump failure

If the fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum line on it, remove the line and shake it. If a small amount of fuel comes out, the pressure regulator has a bad diaphram. If no fuel comes out, make sure you have 12V on the pump when its running. If pressure is still low with 12V on the pump, the pump is probably bad or there is a restriction on the suction side.