Quick tip for diagnosing ignition problems...

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer
In order to properly diagnose ignition problems, the manual calls for a "Peak Voltage Detector." However, most multi-meters only measure RMS voltage, and will not work. Peak Voltage detectors can be expensive for just a single use.<br /><br />Here's a quick little tip. You can make a peak voltage detector using a diode and a capacitor. Connect the diode and capacitor in series, and place them across the terminals you want to test. You can now read the PEAK voltage across the capacitor using your multimeter on a DC setting.<br /><br />Use a small ceramic capacitor, like .01uF, and make sure the voltage rating of the capacitor and diode exceed the voltage you're trying to test.<br /><br />Moderators: This could probably go in a more general section, as this probably isn't limited to just Force engines. Feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Quick tip for diagnosing ignition problems...

wilkin250r, neat trick, and it works. I built a digital multi-meter VOM back in 78 from a kit, they used the 120 volt AC line and the same method to calibrate the meter. Thanks for the memory jog, getting old and need it from time to time :)

Forceluver

Seaman Apprentice

I can not begin to tell you how long I've tried test the electronics. I even tracked down a dealer that sells the attchment for the fluke, but I was not about to pay what they wanted. Can you e-mail me with directions how to go about and utilize that helpful infomation.<br />Scottbest@earthlink.net

clanton

Rear Admiral

There was a complete diagram with parts list on the forum, might find it by search. Someone said you could use the AC scale X 1.414. also. WWW.esitest.com has adapter that will fit a fluke for 35.00

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wilkin, check for a vacuum leak and also check to see the keyway on the magneto has,nt sheared nevjb

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a basic diagram. The first picture is a normal peak voltage detector. The second shows the usage of the diode and capacitor. The voltage can be read directly off the capacitor using a DC setting. Costs is about $2<br /><br />
facc0361.jpg