ATF as decarbon cleaner

jokey1

Cadet
Hey I dont know if this would work on a two cycle engine but I will try to explain.<br /><br />I used ATF on gas and diesel engines. For the gas engines I used to clean inside the engine and help stop noisy lifters. For diesel engines I used it in the fuel tank and when changing the fuel filter I would use ATF to prime the injection pump. <br /><br />It has never damaged these engines except to make some extra smoke but it has done a good job of cleaning carbon and gunk.<br /><br />I was thinking of running a 100to1 ratio on top of the 50to1 of two stoke oil. <br /><br />Does anyone have any input on this idea?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ATF as decarbon cleaner

For many years, Jokey, we decarbed with water. It steam cleans the engines and does as good a job as anything you pay big bux for.

jokey1

Cadet

Ya Water is a good decarbon tool but would it not be bad in a 2cycle because of the bearings in the crank.

JB

If you want to use water you first get the engine warmed up.<br /><br />Spray or drip SMALL amounts into the carb(s) with the engine turning about 2Krpm until exhaust smoke turns white.<br /><br />Run the engine for another 5-10 minutes to clear any residual water from the crankcase and bypass.<br /><br />Your concern about the needles makes sense, but as long as the engine is warm and it is run for a while after the treatment I think you are okay.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Brake fluid is an excellent decarb. It is much <br />higher in detergents than auto trans fluid.

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would hesitate to introduce water into the crankcase of an outboard I cared about and wanted to keep. Maybe try Seafoam?? Napa carries is for about 6 bux a can. Water in a car engine maybe. But not in an outboard where your gas carries your only source of lubrication. Just think 1 part oil to 50 parts gas is not a lot of lube. Do not add water to it as well. Running too light on oil can wreak havoc on a 2 stroke outboard. I can only imagine what water will do. My $.02

corky310

Recruit

So what's the verdict? Water? Brake fluid? ATF?<br />I want to decarb my engine but now I'm just confused on what to use on my Force 120.

JB

The safest, most reliable thing for an inexperienced person to use is a product made for the purpose, Jokey.<br /><br />Sea Foam is one. There are others.<br /><br />Just follow the instructions on the can.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I vote the Seafoam. I am doing it to mine today. Time to go to NAPA....