2 Questions For My 1972 85HP Chrysler

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
#1 -- When I pull my spark plugs there are small particles on the plugs. They look like little grains of sand but I'm sure they are carbon (well, I'm not sure...). My question is: Is this an idication that I should decarbon or what would be causing this (too rich/too lean)? My plugs are not fouling, although they are plastered with this (but it wipes right off).<br /><br />#2 -- Yesterday was the first time I have ran my engine with the carb covers on. You know... that big one piece 'thing' that covers all 3 carbs. What really is the purpose of this? My engine seemed so much louder with it on. I would have thought that it should have the opposite effect. Does this change the air/fuel mixture any (make it run leaner or richer)?<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />Shane

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 2 Questions For My 1972 85HP Chrysler

Can you give us an idea of the color of the particles on the sparkplugs?<br /><br />TMD

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer

TMD,<br /><br /> I didn't notice any color other than the usual burned fuel residue color. Just a dark color.<br /><br /> Maybe I should add that a while back I noticed some small particles in the fuel bowls of my carbs. I finally figured out that it appeared that my cork gaskets were disintegrating. I replaced those cork gaskets. I do know that I have the old style fuel pump (with the glass bowl) and that this has a cork gasket too. Perhaps this one should be replaced also.<br /><br />Shane

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If the deposits are black it is carbon. Try a Decarb and see what happens.<br /><br />TMD