Oil leaking, 70force?

BigD

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 70hp force that seems to be leaking oil around the lower part of the engine (head) that seeps down thru the botttom of the engine cover. Can't seem to find where it's coming from. I assume it's oil coming from the gas/oil mixture. Engine has not been running very good at idle speed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oil leaking, 70force?

Force motors are bad about blowing head gaskets, seals and pistons. Suggest running it hot out of the water and let it blow up, then get a Merc or Suzuki. :D

The Marine Doctor

Commander

BigD<br /><br />Lets check the fuel lines, compression, idle mixture, base gasket.<br /><br />Is there any change you can clean the bottom cowling? This may give some insight into where the fluid comes from.<br /><br />Do you leave the fuel line hooked up during transport or when the engine is tilted up?<br /><br />Just some things to do and look for. Then let me know.<br /><br />TMD

BigD

Seaman Apprentice

thom,<br />I've had the same thought, but I'm too cheap and it's never left me stranded,yet.<br /><br />TMD<br /> I've replaced fuel lines from the tank(it's in the bow) to the fuel pump,filter,ball pump,reset mixture screw to 1 turn. It actually ran better yesterday than it has all year but leaked more. I have purchased a fuel pump kit but haven't put it on yet. With the cover off it misses and puffs smoke that it looks like it comes up from the lower unit. I don't have a compression gauge, so I haven't run a check on that. Gas line stays hooked up all the time, their is no quick disconnect.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

When it misses and puffs smoke, is this at idle? If its idle its a lean pop. This could be causing the problem.<br /><br />Its not popping back though the carb is it?<br /><br />It is possible that you might gave blown the base gasket.<br /><br />As I mentioned above...clean the bottom cowling, then run it.<br /><br />TMD

BigD

Seaman Apprentice

TMD<br /> Yes it does pop a little at idle, more so with the cover off.It runs totally different when running with earmuffs on then it does in the water. It does show oil leaking down the sides of the lower unit, is this what you mean by the bottom cowling.<br />I'm at work now. After I get home and get a few chores done I'll try cleaning it off again and run it. Thanks for the advice, I'll check my parts book for location of gasket.

BigD

Seaman Apprentice

TMD<br /> If the gasket is the problem, how much of a job is it to replace. Something maybe a DIY'er could do or a shop job?