water hot

packer

Cadet
I'm new to the boating world, my 1986 force 85hp is putting little water out the pee holes. Took out the thermisat and the water is very hot in a few seconds. Flow is low. My local friends are telling me lots but not sure all info is right. :eek:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: water hot

It appears you need a new impeller.Water is not <br />usually too hot to touch and the head should<br />be too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you.

packer

Cadet

Never did an impeller, I read there are 6 and 12 impeller witch do you recommend? Do I need the themasat in?<br />Thanks

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did that job, was a snap, there is only 1 impeller available..its the 6 fin model, make sure you pay atention to the direction the shaft turns, the key that holds the impeller fixed to the shaft and get the impeller blades flexed the way they are gonna bend in service when you do the job...I followed the Clymers book and it took about 1 hour, now that I know where all the bolts are (one is hidden inside the exhaust snout, need to remove the snout to get it) I think I could do it in 30 minutes...<br /><br />Oh, and don't forget to remove the shift linkage cotter pin at the top front of the lower unit (the piece that comes off, I was loooking up way too high near the powerhead at first and replace it when done)

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Do not be surprised that when you are done changing the impeller and run the engine that the water comming out the discharge holes in the back is rather warm. This is normal.<br /><br />TMD