Newly rebuilt 89' Force 125 no spark after swap

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice
I got my crate rebuilt motor on the boat and ready to fire and now I have NO SPARK. I was carefull to take pictures from the old powerhead that would start and run (with bad compression). I have everything connected correctly I believe. I am going to go through the manual and troubleshoot but anything quick and easy (common) that I should check first.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Loran

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Newly rebuilt 89' Force 125 no spark after swap

It is an 89 force sorry

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

yes, something common, it could be the kill switch was flipped.

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Imoore,<br />make sure your ground wire from your iginition plate assembly is attached to the block. if you still have no spark disconnect your black yellow or white wire on your terminal block from the boat side wiring harness this will disconnect the motor from the boat and you should have spark if not it is something on the engine. good luck, bret

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

Well it wasn't the kill switch, I took it to the shop and they said a bad rectifer? Strange that it worked before, I don't even know what that part does but it is only $30 and it that fixes it then I will be happy.

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

TMD what does HMM mean? What does the rectifier do anyway?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Imoore....I think what TMD is thinkin about is that once you get the engine running, ya' don't need the rectifier. The engine is self sustaining. All the rectifier does is charge the battery.<br /><br />Hope TMD will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Yeppers. I am thinking your Tech's are grasping at straws. You could take the rectifier right out of the system. The engine will run.<br /><br />The only way I could see the rectifier causing a problem is if it was a complete ground.<br /><br />When you hooked up the battery..did you get major sparks?<br /><br />TMD

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

loran,<br />are you 100% sure that you have no spark to any cylinder?? why did you have this motor rebuilt? could it possibly have been ignition related? Bret forceparts@yahoo.com

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

No sparks, I will follow up with the shop and speak to the actual tech and not the recptionist. <br /><br />The motor was replace becuase of bad compression and 2 scored cylinders (purchased that way).

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

Well the motor is running. My shop handed me the old rectifier and said after they replaced it the thing started right up. I wasn't going to quesion them as the part was only 20 bucks and I was happy to be running. <br /><br />New problem now, water from lower spark plug hole when running, I have created a new topic, sigh.....