125 Force low compression what happened?

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice
Well I almost have my rebuilt powerhead ready to be mounted.<br /><br />In the mean time, the old motor had 10 PSI compression in the middle two cylinders. Only two things can cause this right? Overheat, or no oil in the gas or lean mixture (ok three things).<br /><br />I just want to be sure that my new powerhead won't suffer the same fate. FYI, I purchased the boat with the bum motor and it hasn't been in the water since in my care :( I did pull the water pump and the impeller was on its way out, 2 fins almost completly broke off and 2 cracked badly.<br /><br />The main reason my my inquiry is becuase I might be taking the seller to small claims court. When the boat was purchased I was told last time it ran it was fine a year ago and it just needed a new battery. Well when I contacted the seller after a mechanic looked at it and told him the news about the compression and he said talk to his laywer. This was after I suguested that I bring the boat back (in better condition, washed and waxed) and get my money back. I paid $2000 for an 88 Bayliner Cobra with the force 125, the boat is in ok shape now, but was filthy when I first got it. Buyer beware!<br /><br />Loran

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 125 Force low compression what happened?

Sounds like you know this already but I would rebuild all the carbs with careful attention to the main jets, a clogged main resulting in a lean condition, if not dealt with, would have caused your problem and will again.

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,<br />I did look at the carbs and they were very clean, no varnish or gunk in the bowls. Can I just remove the jets and blow them out with air?

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you do the rebuild yourself, or is it a crate powerhead, force was known for bad flow deflectors in the waterpassages, they crushed and caused the cylinders to overheat, might want to do some reseearch on those, i have the p/n ' s if your in doubt

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

marinegrh:<br />I got a crate motor here on iboats.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

4 things.<br />Force motors are known for running dirty, and sticking rings.<br />Regularly and religiously decarb the engine with SeaFoam Deep Creep to keep the rings freed up.