1979 75 HP CHRYSLER - IGNITION PROBLEMS

njaccent

Cadet
Hello, I commited the ultimate sin.....I hooked up my battery cables backwards and now have no spark at the plugs. Can ANYONE out there tell me what I fried...rectifier? CDI box? Pickup in the distributor? all of the above? Ignition is type IV pointless electronic ign.<br /><br />Signed: Brain surgeon

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 75 HP CHRYSLER - IGNITION PROBLEMS

time to break out the meter and start checking voltages and resistance, you fried something , start at the top with the stator and work your way down to the coils <br />do you have a manual, if not, time to get one, <br />might be as simple as a bad ground , check those too<br /><br />good luck and keep us infoed

The Marine Doctor

Commander

I can pretty much guarantee you fried the power pack...if you take it off you might even find a hole burnt through the back.<br /><br />Email me at marinedoctor@shaw.ca<br /><br />I can give you instructions on how to test it.<br /><br />TMD

njaccent

Cadet

Ok, I have added a new preamp to the distributor and also a new rectifier, however still no start. I performed the test whereby you remove the black/white striped wire from distributor and when I ground it, I get a single spark at the sparkplug, which I believe tells me the ignition box/coil is good......what next? The stator shows virtually no resistance, which indicates that it too is ok.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

With the key in the ON position..check for 12volts at the blue wire on the terminal block.<br /><br />Also when you did the white/black test...was it a repetative spark? Or did it just spark once in total and never again?<br /><br />It should spark once each time the lead is touched to ground.<br /><br />TMD

njaccent

Cadet

I would have to say one touch............one spark...........but if I moved the grounded wire at all I did get repetative sparks a few times.

njaccent

Cadet

I have also checked the voltage of the blue wire on the terminal block and it's a good strong 12+ volts.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

This is important.<br /><br />What color is the new preamp you installed?<br /><br />TMD

njaccent

Cadet

the pre amp is black...........as was the old one....thanks for all your help by the way....

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Oh no problem...The black ones are the updated ones.<br /><br />You are 100% sure the battery is hooked up properly? You will get no spark otherwise.<br /><br />Are we getting 12 volts to the blue at the distributor?<br /><br />Sorry if I ask questions that seem easy enough to have done already..but that type of ign is almost bullet proof to diagnose.<br /><br />TMD

njaccent

Cadet

yes, getting 12 volts to blue wire at distributor.<br /><br />Battery is hooked up correctly (now! :)<br /><br />when hooking up new preamp, wires were different colors than original. Only similarity between old and new is one wire is striped, other is solid color, and the ground is easy to identify. I hooked up striped to striped, solid color to solid color...sound right?<br /><br />when testing the distributor output (striped black and wite wire terminal on distributor), I believe I am supposed to get a variation from 0 to 12 volts as the distributor is rotated (as rotor rotates past preamp) not getting any change just getting a slight variation in voltage maybe 1 or 2 tenths of a volt during rotation.

njaccent

Cadet

What does it mean if I do get MULTIPLE sparks when grounding the black/white distributor wire?

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read through all the replies it looks like you have a bad pre-amplifier if you can repeatedly touch the cd wire to ground and make it spark that is a good sign. <br /><br />force....NO soliciting to sell on the forums!!!! Mod2

njaccent

Cadet

Two new questions...........<br /><br />1) is the black /white striped wire comfing from the cd unit supposed to be hot with the ignition on? mine is.<br /><br />2) When the preamp is hooked up and working properly, should you be able to see it lit when powered? With the cap off and the ignition on, I see no light coming from the preamp.........if this unit contains an LED (Light emitting Diode) shouldn't I be able to see it lit up?<br /><br />3) How can I bench test my pre-amp to be sure the new one I purchased is working properly?