1989 125 hp force problems

19 footer

Recruit
i bought a boat (1989 125 hp force) a couple years ago <br />and tried it out in a small nearby lake and run got into some<br /> mud i chewed up the prop pretty good but noticed no problems with <br />power when returning to the dock i had the prop fixed but did not get out<br />again that year <br />the following year i did not make it out at all then when i took it out this year i<br />noticed that pushing the throttle forward that i either had full throttle or nothing <br />i could go slow in forward, but if i held the throttle down all the way it would go<br /> fast but nothing in between . (could this problem be from sitting not being used or is it something else) <br />also i was wondering how much water should come out of the <br />holes for the water pump there is more water coming out with the exhaust than there is out of the small portholes<br />is this normal or should there be a steady stream coming out of the 2 small holes ???<br /> any ideas? <br /><br /> :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 125 hp force problems

Your carb is likely clogged up with gunk, and needs to be overhauled/rebuilt.<br /><br />You will only get a sputtering of water out of the holes on that model. But since it has been several (or many) years since the impeller was replaced, I would do it. It should be done every few years. Better safe than sorry.

19 footer

Recruit

what about a good carborater cleaner would that work ???<br /> and why the clogging is that causeed by fogging it and not using <br />it the next spring ????

The Marine Doctor

Commander

The clogging of the carb is caused by old fuel turning bad in the carb. Remove the carbs and clean them up.<br /><br />As for the impeller...Roscoe has given the correct advice. It should be changed.<br /><br />TMD

19 footer

Recruit

how hard would it be to do these jobs myself any special tools req'd<br />or anything i need to know ???

The Marine Doctor

Commander

You will not need special tools to work on the carbs. Leave one together to use as a reference until the other is back together.<br /><br />TMD