Old Chrysler 45Hp Lower unit

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
This is a 1967 model 45781. I have been noticing water in lower unit and replaced seal in bearing cage. Noticed the prop shaft is worn right at the seal. The unit still leaks. I noticed also that if I touch the prop shaft that it wobbles to the touch and oil will leak out. Does this mean the gears and or clutch is shot? If so any ideas where I can get the parts? Is this lower unit compatable with new models say 1974 or newer?<br /><br />Thanks for any help

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Old Chrysler 45Hp Lower unit

Newer gearcase should match work if done as a complete unit. ie...upper and lower together.<br /><br />TMD

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

So doctor do you mean everything including the upper drive shaft water pump and all? Will the casing have to be replaced or will the new parts fit in the casing? :confused:

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Depends on the year of the casing.<br /><br />Some waterpumps only used 3 bolts..newer styles used 4 bolts.<br /><br />But you will need both upper and lower.<br /><br />TMD

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

At first it was gloom and doom. I am thinking it is the bearing connected to the prop shaft next to the bearing cage. Can this be installed without dis assembling the lower unit or does it have to be press fit onto the propeller drive shaft?

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Hmm...let me edit this one.<br /><br />The raise is press fit into the brg carrier. The brg is lighty pressed onto the shaft. And is easily removed.<br /><br />TMD

Nordin

Commander

This thread is 10 years old. Start your own new thread and you will have answers.