troubles removing fly wheel

cohoe

Cadet
1991 / 120 force. I have a puller on the fly wheel and, yes I have the nut off but can't get the fly wheel to come off. How hard is it safe to hit the puller. I don't want to damage anything else with the impact. I am concerned about stripping the holes for the puller. Anything I am missing? Any tips would be appreciated.<br />Thanks

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: troubles removing fly wheel

Shakwak on my 120 1994 I was in the boat you are in no matter what I did I could not get the flywheel to break loose until I went with the impack gun one shot it came loose.Just make sure the bolts (3) that hold the puller on are threaded in deep enough

cohoe

Cadet

Thanks a bunch, I have this bad vision of having to drill and tap the puller holes. Never thought of using an impact. It makes sense though. This whole experience should be interesting as no one up here will work on force.<br />Just ordered a manual, should be here soon.<br />Thanks again<br />Ken

force 150 fl

Seaman Apprentice

Hey shankwak ! I had the same problem when I remove my flywheel . I needed to use a little pressure under the fly wheel with two pry bars on each side as I tighten down on the flywheel puller . then it pop right off no problem . good luck Jim

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

If you still don't have the flywheel off, try tighten the puller then rap it with a hammer...normally pops right off...just a Thought

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

not trying to offend lonewolf or force 150.but i recomend using extreme caution if you plan to use the impact.remember thr flywheel is not cheap to replace and will damage easly.same for the prybar idea.the thought of possibly busting a few teeth of the wheel if the bar happens to slip dosent set well with me.those are just my personal openions though.not intended to offend anyone.now on my force the flywheel was extreamly difficult to get off.i used 2 cans of pb blaster.(great stuff)sprayed liberally.let it soak awhile then came back and tightened the puller and tapped top with a hammer.lossened the puller then retightened.sprayed liberally again.i repeated this method multiple times over the course of the day. going out about every 30 min or so.its slow but in my openion i would rather take my time and do it without damaging the motor.i hate replacing parts because i go in a hurry and got careless.just my 2 cents.

cohoe

Cadet

Still can't get the flywheel off!!!!<br />I havw tried several time using wd40 and have bent the puller. Tried heat today with a propane torch with no luck. Think I will try a AC torch tomorrow. Running out of ideas, can anyone help???????<br />Thanks

watershedood

Cadet

Primitive,but wrks..<br />Piece of thin wood and slight pressure on bar underneath on one side and tap other with rubber hammer with puller tight..they are tough ..as bco128 stated,taking a chance,but,if it wont pop after soak.What do ya do.