Fuel diaphram question

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks. Yes it's me with yet another question sorry :)<br /><br />Since I'm replacing a lot of stuff on my old Force, I figured that the next thing on my list would be a new fuel diphram. <br /><br />What I'm wondering is and please don't laugh at me (I'm still new to the outboards), where exactly is the fuel diaphram located and how much are they? Is this just a few minutes to replace or ?<br /><br />Thank you,<br /> Tim

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel diaphram question

Follow your fuel line into the engine. Pump should be on the end of the line. It is usually about 2.5" square, about 1.5" thick. Theree are a couple sheets of vinyl and a few little plastic pieces and springs to replace. Takes 30-45 minutes, most of which is reading the directions. About $10-13 for a fuel pump kit, that includes all parts and instructions.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

roscoe,<br /> Thanks for coming to the rescue. I appreciate all the kind advice and technical guidance here. If it weren't for folks like you, the newbies like me would be truly lost :) THANKS!!!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You're welcome.<br /><br />I was a newbie with 35 years of boating experience. I ran little motors for years, added gas, pulled the rope, and changed the lower unit oil once a year. Then 5 years ago I got a bigger boat and thought I should take care of it. I remember stumbling thru all this stuff myself.<br /><br />You seem to be doing it right, going thru the engine, checking it out, replacing the little stuff that can cause problems, etc. So you spend a few $, you know it is right, and you get to learn how to check it out and fix it, before it becomes an emergency.<br /><br />Happy boating.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

roscoe,<br /> Very very true. I've been going through this engine/outboard very carefully with a fine tooth comb and replacing things that I feel need replacing just to get the upkeep/maintenance where it should be. I'm hoping to get the engine running in tip top form soon. <br /><br />Last time out I could only get her up to 30mph on the GPS which was a little dissapointing, however, it has given me the baseline sort of point in which I have to work with and goals to shoot for.<br /><br />So far I've replaced the fuel/water separator, primer bulb, all fuel lines to/from the outboard & fuel/water seapator, regulator, spark plugs, both batteries (more of just maintenance because they were a little low on the voltage side), VHF radio (better safe then sorry), and have a tach on the way (current tach doesn't work and I've found that it's key to tuning up your outboard properly).<br /><br />I'm not trying to replace everything literally, just the things that I think are most important to longevity and possibly better performance overall.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /> Tim

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

need a parts manual that shows blow-ups of the various assemblies (like the fuel pump}. Watch out for that weekend traffic....