Water level in cowling on 120 Force Motor

Horace Hoobler

Recruit
At full throtal the motor will lose power and when I removed the cover there is water spots all over the carborator and some water in carborator cups. I have watch excelloration with cover off and water rises up to the bottom of the cowling. dealer response. "Run boat in test tank and water in lower cowling is normal. Ran up rpms and level not rising. Water level cannot rise to the carb. level unless water level outside motor is also that high which would put it above the transom." The water was not in the transom.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Water level in cowling on 120 Force Motor

Water in the lower cowling? Yikes! Sounds like the motor is mounted too low. I'm sure it's not a problem on the test tank, but on the water the boat will have some motion and could very well draw water into the carbs.
dealer response. "Run boat in test tank and water in lower cowling is normal.
Does this guy sell submarines? :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Movng to Force Troubles.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Hoobie - Do not use your boat until you have that problem solved. If water gets injested into the motor it can cause detonation. that breaks pistons, rings and other stuff. I know as my motor is in the shop now because water got injested. I expect it to end up costing me about $4 grand before it is done.