78 140 hp Evinrude clunks in forward

lemon aid

Recruit
Seem to have bought a lemon boat.1st the coil had to be replaced then the power pak had to be replaced. That made it run great until we lost the prop. Now we have a brand new prop but the shift lever bolt broke under the carborators. Replaced lever put it in the water and now the shift cable broke. I think I have repaired the cable but I still have a clunk in the motor as you are in forward. This started some where between replacing the power pak and losing the prop. Its sounds like it is jumping in and out of gear but keeps in forward motion with a loud clunk every few seconds. Getting worse all the time. Hate to fix anything else as something new seems to happen each time. I had the lower unit out to take a piece of broken metal out that broke off when we lost the prop. Is there a way to adjust the shift cable to get rid of the clunk? Could that be why the shift cable snapped tonight? Any help would be appreciated as I haven't read any posts on this clunk & not a lot on shift cables either.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 140 hp Evinrude clunks in forward

You can try to adjust the shift shaft. You should get a manual to walk you thru it. <br /><br />Do a search on "clutch dog".<br />It is the cog that engages the gear on the prop shaft.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 78 140 hp Evinrude clunks in forward

Moving to JohnnyRude.