1989 Evinrude V4 120 hp power loss at wot

gevans

Recruit
I'm new to iboat, and new to boating in general.<br />After reading 15 pages of forums, I have to ask for your assistance. I purchased a Stratos 284 bass boat with an 1989 Evinrude V4 120hp engine.<br />Model# E120TLCEM Serial#333686 I went out to test it this weekend and it ran like a champ at full throttle for about 8-9 minutes and then just cut out. I restarted it and it stalled again. Thinking it was an overheat condition, I threw the trolling motor in and headed back to the launch. After 40 min. of trolling, the batts. went dead. I restarted the engine and it ran fine back to the launch ramp approx a mile away. It's been trailered since, because I'm not sure what caused it. I'm thinking about taking it to a dealer for tune up, but after reading your forums, I believe there are a few things I can look at myself, with your guidance. Such as spark gaps, cracked coils, fuel filter, plug wires ect... Love your ideas and tricks to try in the forum section. I don't feel so much like a dummy when I read your advice. Any suggestions you have are important information to me. Thanks in advance gents...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Evinrude V4 120 hp power loss at wot

Evinrude Trouble