crysler 75hp

jdavis

Recruit
i'm new to this forum....i have a 75hp crysler outboard motor that when i get up to fuel saver everythings fine...but when i go any faster it jumps into nueteral....no noise-just high rpm's....<br />not tryed to fix probelm on my own....trying to find someone who has had same probelm to help me... :confused:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: crysler 75hp

Hello jdavis welcome to Iboats. When you reply to this post make sure you post your model number of your motor. This will tell the year of the motor. Should be on the motor around the carburator. <br /><br />My guess you have a problem with your lower unit gears or your shift linkage. Try disconnecting your battery and your spark plug wires(This is for safety) Put shifter center on neutral. With your hand verify the propeller spins freely in both directions and that you dont hear any ticking. Have someone slowly advance shifter forward until you feel it lock. Check where this point is on your shifter. Do the same thing going into reverse and check this spot. YOu should have about the same amount of shifting room forward as you do for reverse. If not and neutral is not being hit dead center you may only need to readjust your shift linkage.<br /><br />IF this checks out open the fill hole in your lower unit and get a sample of your lower unit oil (Be careful not to unscrew screw to prop linkage). No water should come out of this hole. The oil should be a brown almond color and not white. Rub some with your finger and see if there are metal particals. If so you have some gear damage happening.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If there is NO clunk then its likely that your prop may be slipping.<br /><br />IF there is a clunk...you will have a rounded clutch dog and frwd gear.<br /><br />TMD

jdavis

Recruit

ok..it's a 1979 model...and there is no clunk when it pops into a nuetral gear..when this happens all i have to do is take the throttle back to neut.postion and take it back(slowly)to fuelsaver and it goes fine.....just can't take past fuelsaver....