1985 force 85 Question on Lower unit drop and water pump??

CDBLAZERS

Seaman Apprentice
1985 force 85 model 856X5L I was wanting to have a look at the water pump to see if visually it is together and no fins missing and such. I have never pulled it before, Do you have to replace seals and that kind of thing when droping the L/U? do I drain the lower unit oil? do I remove the prop? should I wait till I get a new impellor before I check it out? just some generall q's on my mind before I grab a wrench..<br /><br />Thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 force 85 Question on Lower unit drop and water pump??

What you need is a manual for your motor. Clymor manuals give good instructions on this. You wont need a seal when separating the lower unit but you will need to know how to remove and reassemble the shift linkage. The lower unit oil will not have to be drained but the manual will show you how to put it back together again after you take it apart.

CDBLAZERS

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you , yes I have been meaning to get a manual. I have had this boat only about a month and it runs so darn good i cant get to any of the maintanence things i want to do we have been to the lake 3 or 4 times a week since getting this old thing hehehe but I did take the lower unit off and check out the water pump, looks pretty good but the houseing the impellor is in is a little pitted and rough on one side, Any thoughts on what this might indicate. I have reassembled and checked the forward revers operation to make sure it was correct. It was aLOT easier thatn I thought it would be. Thanks for the help.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The pitting might be from a previous impeller going bad. Also could have happened when a previous owner forgot to put something back or had the impeller fins going the wrong way. If it is running good and water is coming out the back you should finish the season with what you have. Order the manual now so you know how to winterize it. I would get another impeller and put it in next spring. It is recommended to replace it every 2 or 3 years. You can do a search using force water pumps and you will find all kinds of info on this subject from previous posts.