My Force 120 hP Won't Start

Coach

Seaman Apprentice
History: 1995 Force 120 Serial # OE132161. Have had the boat for about 6 months. ('95 Astro Fish/Ski 18'). It has run great since the day I bought it. I achieve about 45 MPH at about 4800 RPM. Have put several hours on it doing both fishing and sking. Recently was in Penscola and did a day of sking with it. Did a good flush with muffs right after taking it out of the water. <br /><br />Problem: Put it in the water a week later (July 26th). Started fine. Put it in reverse. The engine died. Never got it started again. <br /><br />What I've done: Appears to be getting fuel. Smell it in the cyc when I pulled the plugs. However, I can hold the spark plugs in my hand while my wife cranks it. Hardly any shock at all. Battery seems fine; fairly new and cranks the starter over easily. <br /><br />What can I check??<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help. This is a great site/forum. I appreciate any help any of you can give this "not so mechanically inclined" new boater. Many cheers!

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: My Force 120 hP Won't Start

Yes...if you can hold the sparkies and not recieve much of a shock...the problem lies with the stator not producing enough voltage.<br /><br />TMD

Coach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the inputs...had to bring it to the shop due to work requirements on my time. Mechanic says it is looking like the stator, but had not finished all his diagnosis. What should I pay for this if it is the problem?

Coach

Seaman Apprentice

Was in fact the Stator. Replaced it and everything is great.<br /><br />I'm learning a lot from reading these post. Thanks to all of you who are so willing to help others. <br /><br />I'll definetly visit often to help if I can and learn what I can.