Prop question (yes I searched the archives here)

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks. I'm currently running a 13 X 19 pitch prop on my 19 ft. 85 Bayliner Capri cuddy with a 125 force engine (stop laughing). <br /><br />My tach isn't working, however, I've just replaced the rectifier/regulator and also put in new plugs (went from Champions to NGK). I haven't put it on the water yet < sigh >.<br /><br />What I'm wondering is: What can I do to get a little more mph out of this engine (if anything)? Would changing the prop help any? I'm currently getting 30mph out of my setup and am I asking too much for around 35mph if not a little more or is that unreliastic?<br /><br />I also just looked and found that I have the doel fin hydrofoils and not sure if that is helping or not.<br /><br />Any assistance would be great.<br /><br />Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Prop question (yes I searched the archives here)

There are lots of things you can do to get the best top speed from your rig, TTeal, but all of them require a working tachometer.<br /><br />That is your first step.<br /><br />Then follow all of the advice you found when you searched the archives.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Just to top off your search: If you can't fix the tach, visit Tiny Tach. They offer a digital easy-to-fit device at $37.

U68423

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just installed a tiny tach works great, make sure you get a long enough wire.. :)

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi tteal: Don't feel self-conscious about owing a Bayliner with a Force outboard - there are quite a few of us out here <g> Anyway, I have a 15ft Capri with a 50hp engine. I use a Stingray Hydrofoil to keep my little boat from bouncing around too much - works great, but does reduce the top speed from 31 down to 26. I don't know about the doelfin, but just for the heck of it you might try removing it and see what happens. I opted for the reduced speed and improved stability. I'm sure not going to win any speed contests with my boat anyway! Best of luck!