Force 125hp tach problems

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm wondering if anyone knows what I need to replace/repair. Problem is that I get light to my tach, however, the tach does not show any rpms although the engine runs just fine. I was looking in the Clymer(sp?) manual and it mentions the "Rectifier/regulator". <br /><br />Is that a part that normally goes out? Would it also cause the tach to not function?<br /><br />Tks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125hp tach problems

If your engine is keeping the battery charged, the rectifier is ok.<br /><br />You may just have a loose wire or connection for your tach.<br /><br />If rectifier fail, engine will not charge battery and tach will usually not work.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe,<br /> I'm showing 12.5V on each battery (have a battery switch) with two batteries. I haven't had a chance to check the voltage with the engine running. Does that voltage sound right?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Battery voltage is fine. <br /><br />Did this just start happening? <br />Or has the tach been dead for a while?<br />Have you used the boat since the tach went dead?

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

roscoe,<br /> The tach has been dead since I bought the boat :-( Although what I find strange is that the light on the tach works. All the wiring appears to be correct (according to the Clymer) and I've looked at the ground and the "grey" wire which I believe is the send type wire looks fine as well (from the tach to the engine). I've used the boat a few times since the tach was dead and have no ill effects. However, I've noticed that the boat will only go approx 30 mph on my garmin GPS and I'm trying to troubleshoot that as well and the tach would be great to figure out what kind of rpm that I'm turnin so I can troubleshoot further.<br /><br />Any idea where I can get a new tach and/or troubleshoot this further?<br /><br />Thank you.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

What year boat is it? And who manufactured the Tach?

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

revertmastec,<br /> It's a 1985 Bayliner Capri 19 foot Capri. U.S. Marine makes the tach I believe.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Power for the light comes off the ignition switch.<br />The tach signal comes from the engine.<br /><br />If you don't want to mess with all the wiring, you can replace the whole thing for about $40, with a "Tiny Tach".<br /><br />It is easy to install, you wrap a wire around the sparkplug wire, and it pick up the signal thru the wire.<br /><br />I would call them to make sure they send the right one for a 2-cycle 4 cylinder engine.<br /><br /> http://www.tinytach.com/

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your Tach is guarenteed for life. If you contact the manufacture they will send you a new one. I have a 1986 and they sent me a replacement, and all it cost was the shipping charges. Had it in about a week.

ssuajk

Seaman

Mine said US Marine too but it had a sticker for the pole settings and the sticker had Faria instuments on it so I went to Faria-instruments.com and since their gauges are all garunteed they sent me a new gauge for $30.00, yes a new big square gauge,w/ 20 pole setting and how sweet it is.<br />Call (860)848-9271<br />Irene ext.1274<br />Faria-Instruments<br />385 Norwich New London Tpke.<br />Uncasville, CT 06382