Cracked Block

REB--Tulsa

Recruit
Recently purchased a 20' 1996 pontoon with a 40 hp Force outboard. The first trip to the lake I noticed a hard to restart (after it ran 15 or 20 minutes) and water leaking from engine cowling. When we got home, removed power head (to replace leaking gasket?) and found cracks in block. Can someone tell me where to find a replacement block or power head?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cracked Block

If you find one, its going to be pricey, or need a rebuild.<br /><br />Mercury may still have them available, but make sure you are sitting down when you hear the price.<br /><br />I would try to find another one, and use the old one for parts.<br /><br />Or part it out on ebay and replace with a different engine.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey Reb<br /> I live near tulsa (coweta)i get my parts from a guy up on pine.MPA-Boat parts.he is a boat salvage as well as new and rebuilt parts.he is at 4601 E. Pine st. bout harvard or yale i think.will kow again monday have to go get a new fuel pump diaphragm. his number is 836-1480 his not certain when he opens but know he closes at 5:00pm but rarly leaves before 5:30 he will do buisness right up until he walks out the door.he does pretty good at finding most any parts i need.good luck.

Bob Browne

Recruit

You might try filling the cracks with J-B Weld if they are not in critcal areas. Would be loads cheaper than new block.

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey, if tour going to get another block i'd try out that jb weld as well. its pretty good stuff when preped properly!

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

i will vouche for the JB weld. my #2 cyl running with it.had bad piston.busted a chunk out of the sleeve repaired with JB-Weld.hasent failed yet.chunk was about 1 1/4" across and 1" long right at the lower side of the intake ports.considering price of new or rebuilt the 3 or 4 bucks on the JB would be worth a shot at least once.