Larger Diameter prop

wswaneyw

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can I put a larger diameter lower pitched prop on my outboard? It is a chrysler 120 with a 12" 19 pitch prop. I have my eye on a 13 1/8" 15 pitch prop. Will this work? Thanks Wayne

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Larger Diameter prop

You are looking at a 400-500 rpm gain, so I would have to ask, what is your RPM, WOT, with the boat in a normal load situation??????

Hooty

Rear Admiral

It depends on the configuration of the prop but the pitch has a lot more effect on performance then the diameter. You're gonna spin the 15"p prop about 800rpm more then the 19"p prop. Careful and don't over-rev the engine.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

wswaneyw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the quick responses. It currently at WOT runs around 4000 rpms,,,, which is way too slow. Manual says i can run around 5000-5500. I am hoping the lower pitch will get me there. Any thoughts?

walleyehed

Admiral

Most props tend to be built with less diameter, with an increase in pitch, with the exception of higher HP applications (above 50mph).<br /> I may be wrong, but I've done alot of testing with these particular series of props, but I think you will get in the 5000, maybe slightly above with the 15". with the larger diameter, you also have more blade area.<br /> I would also make sure you will have proper clearance from propshaft to cavitation plate.<br />Good luck! :)

wswaneyw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks again,,, i will try it and pass on my findings. Goodnight and thanks again