Force 150 performance opinions please

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,<br />I got cut off doing the first post so will try again. It has been a while but I am one of the few who really havent had major problems (recently) with my 150 Force (on a 19 ft Arriva).<br /><br />We did have a bit of a "fender bender" (see post in Boats concerning minor fibergalss repair) this weekend but I would like to get some opinions on the situation below.<br /><br />Last week I put the boat in and it ran fine. Was taching 53-5500 at 47-48 mph on a 19 pitch prop. Over the week I noticed a drop in top end as yesterday it was topping at 43 at 45-4600 rpm. I had to leave (coming back next week) but I did pull the cowl and saw the top carb was serioulsy leaking fuel as if the float may have been stuck. I also did notice it loading up at times after horsing it pulling tubers. There was really no loss of hole shot and the boat had no problem pulling dual tubers as well as my 240lb cousin on a slalom ski on a deep start.<br /><br />I did replace a stator/triggers two years ago as a result of intermittent cutting out at 3500 plus rpm's.<br /><br />Could a stuck float on a carb cause a loss of rpms? I had to leave in a hurry but will return Friday. Here is my plan. Please help me out to make sure I am in the ballpark.<br /><br />1. Check the plugs for wetfouling (carb or electrical) and or steam cleaning (cylinder)<br /><br />2. compression check<br /><br />Any opinions would be appreciated. I really dont think I have a cylinder bad as the hole shot is fine. I am leaning in the direction of either electrical or carb. <br /><br />Thanks Again<br /><br />Deerdog

D

DJ

Re: Force 150 performance opinions please

deerdog,<br /><br />You're on the right track.<br /><br />1. Do the compression test.<br /><br />2. Examine the plugs, you'll see a difference.<br /><br />One carb. flooding out will effectively "drop" a cylinder. That would explain the difference in rpm ranges at WOT. You're fortunate that the carb didn't lean out a cylinder.

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force 150 performance opinions please

Thanks Djohns. Talked to a friend of the family who runs a shop and he also thinks it is the carb putting too much fuel into the cylinder effectively drowning it. If the comp check is okay then I guess I will be in the carb cleaning/rebuilding process. I hope that is all it is anyway.<br />Deerdog