Stiff steering / pulling to the right

NewbieBoater

Cadet
Hi folks. I took a ride in a friends boat (1985 Bayliner Capri 19 footer with Force 125 outboard) in the bay today for a test run (I'm thinking about purchasing this boat). <br /><br />However, a few things that I've noticed and hoping that someone could possibly help out a newbie:<br /><br />1) When steering, the boat will go right without hardly any effort at all. However, going to the left is a completely different story. It seems to take a lot more effort to get the boat to the left side then the right. What would cause this?<br /><br />2) On the force 125 outboard, where can you adjust the idle? Screws on the carbs?<br /><br />3) What top speed should we be see'ing? There were 5 people in the boat (approx 650 lbs). The boat was running at WOT right around 30mph (what we're seeing on the gauge). Does that sound right?<br /><br />4) How can you adjust the throttle cable on these? I'd like to possibly help my friend out to adjust the throttle cable... at wide open throttle, I can tell that the cable says you're at wide open throttle, however, the engine doesn't seem to be there. Any help would be great.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.<br /><br />-Tim

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stiff steering / pulling to the right

What were the rpm's at WOT?

NewbieBoater

Cadet

roscoe,<br /> That's a great question, unfortunately, the stupid tach isn't working either. Imagine that :) I work on my supercharged ford mustang all the time, however, this outboard stuff has me really stumped. If I were to guess though, I'd say around 4000-4400rpm but that is really just taking a guess.<br /><br />By the way, thanks for your help. The boat is at my house right now and I'm ready to try a few things, granted someone could possibly help me out and guide me in the right direction.<br /><br />Thanks.

Jmorrell588

Seaman

Newbie, I have been around boats a long time and know the Motors by name and which one's to steer clear from. From what I hear, the Force motors are an okay motor to have today. But back then, those motors where not the greatest in the world and even though it is a 120hp, it really did not put out much power. Since you are looking to purchase a boat, I would steer clear of this one and look at boats with a Yamaha, Evinrude/Johnson or better yet a Mariner since they hold up better in salty conditions. Just my take on this one. <br /> Also, with any Motor/boat, always have a mechanic look it over for you and do a compression check. To me that is a must since there is a large amount is at stake. Maybe it works okay for season, but it will cost you a lot to get it fixed if something is wrong that you could have detected from a check-up from a boat mechanic before you buy the boat. I wish you the best.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If the engine is severely down on rpm as you described, I would want to know it it is getting spark on all cylinders.<br /><br />Next would be a compression test. Over 100 on each cylinder, the higher the better. Within 10-15# of each other.<br /><br />Push throttle wide open and look at the butterflies in the carbs. If they are open, then there is no cable adjustment to be made.<br /><br />You can adjust the trim tab on the lower unit, to the right, to help neutralize the steering, but it is going to turn right easier than left, due to engine/prop torque. Cleaning and re-lubricating the tilt tube and steering cable will help some too.<br /><br />The boat speed may be a little low, but understandable if you are down a cylinder or not reaching wide open throttle rpm. You should be reaching about 5200 rpm.<br /><br />How is the hole shot? <br />Does it get up on plane easily? Within 2 seconds? :) <br /> 5 seconds?<br /> 10 seconds?<br /> 30 seconds?

NewbieBoater

Cadet

roscoe,<br /> The engine was just recently rebuilt and compression is fine in all four cylinders. I'm leaning towards that what the cable is doing and what the actual throttle is doing is indeed two different things. <br /><br />
You can adjust the trim tab on the lower unit, to the right, to help neutralize the steering, but it is going to turn right easier than left, due to engine/prop torque. Cleaning and re-lubricating the tilt tube and steering cable will help some too.<br />
Thanks for that advice. Now for a newbie (new to boating but pretty mechanically inclined), where will I be looking for this trim tab and what does it look like? Cleaning and lubing the tilt tube and steering cable? Any kind of grease necessary?<br /><br />Thanks again and sorry for so many darn questions... the engine seems very strong and this is the first time it's been started for a little over 3 months from what I know.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The trim tab on that motor is a bit different. It is located just above the prop. It is actually called an exhaust snout on that motor. It serves as a tail pipe, and diverts the exhaust away from the prop, and serves as a rudder of sorts, to correct the steering. Not as functional as on other motors. It also adjust the opposite of others. You have to loosen the 2 bolts, slide the front to the left, then tighten it down. Trial and error is the name of the game.<br /><br />The tilttube is in front of the engine. It is what the engine pivots around when lifted. THe steering cable should pass thru it, from the right side, and there are locking nuts on each side to secure it. Its easiest to disconnect the cable from the tube, slide it out, clean out any crud from the tube and cable end, grease it up with marine grease with teflon, and re-assemble. If there is a zirc fitting on the cable, turn the steering wheel so the cable is completely extended, then grease the zirc.<br /><br />I hope this helps.<br />Good night.