force troubles

skoal69

Recruit
Last year i bought a 86 bayliner with a 86 125 hp force motor. The motor seemed to bog down. I had a mechanic look at it. He cleaned the carbs, replaced fuel lines, and checked the fuel system which was fine. Took it out to test on the water and it would not idle. He checked the coil and ignition box by static testing. All was fine. Timing was good as well. Reed valves look good. Replaced plugs with NGK's and replaced plug boots. Took out to test and this time would cough and sputter out of the hole. After a while, would run fine, but the same would happen again if starting again. Mechanic suggested a new stator. We took it out and this time when motor was put in gear, it would stall out. I NEED HELP!!!! I cant afford to keep doing this!!! Anybody have any sugestions?

jeffmock

Seaman
Re: force troubles

There are many posts on this subject and many opinions as this seems to be a problem with most Force motors. Some say just advance the idle set screw to idle about 900-1000. Some say look for a mechanical problem and fix it but I don't think anyone has found a definite problem/solution yet. You can do a search of this forum using key words and come up with many posts. I have read a lot of them as I too am a Force owner. I have increased my idle a very little to about 900 and it seems to have helped but not cured.<br /><br />Good Luck

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: force troubles

skoal69 first a manual will help second at idle check and see if all cylinders are fireing this can be done by grounding each spark plug just under the boot to engine block ground.Also check to see if rpms change when doing this test.Next if you have a ohm meter check resistance out put on stator should be greater than 600 ohms both on high and low side of stator.Set meter to ohms x1000 scale and see what reading you have .The next thing is to look under the fly wheel and see if the stator is in a black housing if so these stator were merc. @ force problems the new stator are called the red stator.You can get a stator from www.seilermarine.com for around $170.00 and if you have the right tools about a 20 min. job if all goes well.