RPM LOSS/POWER

forcebewithyou

Recruit
1995 70 HP FORCE OUTBOARD<br /><br />AFTER RUNNING ONE HOUR MY ENGINE DROPS FROM 4200 RPM TO 3900 RPM WITH A SLIGHT POWER LOSS. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN IDEA ON WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Moving Target

Seaman
Re: RPM LOSS/POWER

Is that your WOT rpm, if so than you are overproped and over heating the motor. Can you give us more info. Does it sputter/miss? How long has it been doing this? The more info the better we can help.

forcebewithyou

Recruit

THIS PROBLEM HAS JUST COME UP. THE 4200 RPM IS WHAT TACH READS ON INST. PANEL . THE PROP IS ORIGINAL. MOTOR DOES NOT SUPTTER OR MISS OUT. IT JUST DROPS OUT TO 3900 ON TACH A REDUCTION IN POWER OCCURS AND IT JUST STAYS AT 3900 RPM. PLAN ON CHECKING FUEL FILTER AND PLUGS THIS WEEK.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Do you have this motor on your pontoon?<br />This could be your problem.<br />You should be reaching 4700-5200 rpm at WOT. <br />I would think you are SEVERELY overpropped for this setup. This will kill that motor.<br />What prop do you have on there?<br />Mine came with a 10 3/8 By 15 inch pitch prop, and gives me perfect rpm range. <br />With a pontoon, you should probably be using a 10 inch or an 11 inch pitch prop, or close to it, to get the motor in the proper range.<br /><br />Any additional info?<br />does it continue to fire on all 3 cylinders?<br />how long do you have to leave it sit to get it to run at the 4200 level?<br />how long have you had it?<br />did it ever get higher rpm<br />check the prop for diameter and pitch, the number should be similar to this. 48 73134 A40

forcebewithyou

Recruit

THIS FORCE 70 HP IS ON A 24 FT PONTOON<br />I TOOK THE PROP # AND IT READS 64-740-A10-10-5P WHICH DOES NOT MAKE SINCE.<br />I CHANGE SPARK PLUGS AND FILTER. WILL TEST DR. LATE TODAY.I PURCHASED THIS BOAT THIS SPRING AND THE RPM HAS ALWAYS BEEN 4200 MAX.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

forcebewithyou, where are you located in WI? I am NW of Wausau. <br />I will be leaving today for a wedding, will be back home Sat evening. <br /><br />Also, when you check the plugs, post which plugs you are using. <br /><br />Good luck with the test run, and hopefully we can get this thing running a little better for you.

forcebewithyou

Recruit

FROM EDGERTON, WI.<br />I PURCHASED RECOMMENED MANUAL PLUGS L76V<br />I AM LEAVING FOR GALENA IL. THIS WEEK END. PLAN ON RUNNING PONTOON TONIGHT. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW TEST RUN WORKS.