Attention all Force Experts.Your experience is needed.

Ferrariiwish

Seaman
I have a 1991 Force.(90hp)I am rebuilding.<br />How do you fit the (2) spring seals on the crankshaft without breaking them.I am on my third one now.I broke one and the other broke in the post.These are extremly brittle.Like a piston ring. You have to expand the seal to the width of the crankshaft and they are so brittle they break.I have another one coming in a few days and dont want the same thing to happen.<br />There HAS to be a way.<br />Many thanks in advance.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Attention all Force Experts.Your experience is needed.

Larry, <br />I think no one has responded to your post because nobody knows. I don't. On OMC engines, the seals press in to an upper and lower crankcase head and then they fit over the crankshaft. Maybe your's do to. :confused: <br /><br />c/6 <br /><br />Hooty

Ferrariiwish

Seaman

Thanks hooty,<br />Like I said these seals are identical to piston rings except in miniture.<br />Like the piston ring they have about half inch gap.<br />The problem is, with the piston ring u can slide it over the piston, these seals have to be opened to the width of the crankshaft and because they are so brittle they break.<br />I am an auto mechanic by trade,my buddie is a marine mechanic and he is dazzled by the system too.The fact is, every time one breaks I have to wait four days to get another.I have 2 more coming on Monday 9th and just wanted to see was there a process for fitting them..Many thanks for the reply.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Larry<br /><br />What procedure does the manual suggest ?

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi Larry, I feel your grief. I checked the Clymer Force manual, the instructions as would be expected simply say "install the crankcase seal", no help there. However, it appears that you might have better luck if you remove the crankshaft bearing located next to the crankcase seal groove, then cover the crankshaft polished surface with tape to protect it, then expand the seal just enough to go over the crankshaft bearing area which has a smaller diameter then where the seal fits, this should prevent the seal from breaking, then use one of two methods to install it, oil it to reduce friction. 1. open and slide the seal into it's groove, however, it may still break, or 2. slide one end of the seal up and over and into the groove, then carefully work the seal from that point and go around until is snaps into place. No guarantee, but I've used this method with snap rings many times where I had the same problem. Good luck.

Ferrariiwish

Seaman

SS.<br />Many thanks.That sounds like a good idea.<br />I will try it and let you know.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Yep<br /><br />The good 'ol Clymer..<br /><br />Great doorstop.. :eek:

Ferrariiwish

Seaman

Andrew,<br />Thanks for the reply.<br />I dont have a manual.Thats why I am calling on your experience.

alcan

Commander

Hi Larry<br />I looked up your problem in the OEM manual. It give the same info as the Clymer manual,along with the warning that these seal rings break easy. The OMC V4'S use the same type deal only larger. I feel that Slowly sinking has the right idea. Once you have the ring over the crank journal, you might try using a piston ring remover/installer for small engines.

Ferrariiwish

Seaman

Alcan,<br />Many thanks for your reply.<br />Slowly gave me a good tip and I done it his way and it worked.<br />You have all been brilliant as usual..<br />(Special mention for Slowly Sinking)<br />thanks again to all who replied..<br />Save Boating....

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi Larry, real glad it worked for you, it was my pleasure to help, helping each other it what makes this forum work, enjoy the boat. :)