Prop question

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's not easy being a novice! I took my 12' Carolina skiff out for the first time the other day. It was supposed to run rather well from all that I was told, with a 15hp engine. The fact is, it couldn't get out of it's own way. The engine seemed to run well, but just didn't have the guts. When I got back, I took a look at the prop, and the rubber hub was slightly cocked from being exactly centered. I tried to move it with a screwdriver to see if it was loose, but I could not move it. Could this still be a "spun hub"? The prop is not really in the best of shape, and I should probably get another one anyway, but still and all I'd like to know whether or not this could really be my problem.<br /> The engine is a Sears Gamefisher, made by Force around 1991. Can anyone tell me where I can get parts, including a prop, for Force engines? I DON'T want to get them from Sears.<br /> Are hydrofoil stabilizers of any real value? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Prop question

I had a 25hp johnson on a 16' jonboat. The boat would do ok if you eased on the throttle till about have way, and then it would rev up and fall on its face, reverse seemed to do better than forward...it was very confusing. after pulling the prop, it was a little off center like you said yours is. anyway, the prop was spun. I bought a new one, and no more problems. I dont think you can really tell if it is spun by trying to turn it by hand. I couldnt with mine.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Prop question

Yeah, the turning torque minimum for slippage check is about 100 ft-lbs. A prop shop can check it for you with a special jig.