88 Force 85HP - Removed Drain Plug - Need HELP

Btpeck23

Cadet
while draining the lower unit gear oil the drain plug (that is not to be removed) was removed. this in in a 1988 Force 85HP Outboard motor. There is a fill & vent plug that get removed & this drain plug on the lower unit. I had a megnetic screwdriver that pulled the plug out by accident and now i can't get it back in. it appears that something spring loaded has prevented the the drain plug from going back in... Does any know how to fix this? does the lower unit have to be taken apart? and if so can someone w/ average mech. knowledge of cars tear into this w/out causing bigger problems?

BF

Lieutenant
Re: 88 Force 85HP - Removed Drain Plug - Need HELP

I'm not sure if it's the same... but my small OMC outboard has a screw on the LU that isn't a drain... it has something to do with attaching the shift linkage within the lower unit. I have read that bad things happen if it's removed. Like having to take the LU apart to re-assemble. :confused: <br /><br />I hope your's isn't the same!<br /><br />Brent

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Cad Man.<br /><br />Nothing personal, Sir, but you get to be the latest example of why $30 invested in a Manual can save you hundreds worth of agony.<br /><br />As BF suggests, you have probably removed the dog shaft, not the drain or vent plugs. :( <br /><br />The lower end will have to be removed and dismantled to put it back together correctly.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

outboardjake

Seaman

Sounds like you did remove the shift pivot screw. Sometimes you can get lucky and disconnect the shift pin above the the gearcase and move the shift rod up and down slowly until the hole lines up. Look in with a light to see if it lines up and then put the screw in. Sometimes an "all" helps line it up. Make sure the o-ring is on the screw. Hope that helps

91formula

Seaman

CAD MAN, I did the same thing, go to search and type, shift pivot pin removed (help), read my post, I followed the instructions of Dhanley and it worked fine, I think if you do as I did you be OK<br /><br />Jim

Btpeck23

Cadet

Thank you all, got it back in by moving the shift lever. i could see that the hole i went into was rounded on the bottom and so i think it should be it the right place. would you still recomend going and getting it checked out? I was planing to take it out this weekend and i can't get anyone to tear it apart by then, but then again one weekend of not fishing could save my moror....

91formula

Seaman

Cad,<br /><br />I'd do what I did on my post and give her a try, I pulled the plugs put her in forward and turned to flywheel, made sure the prop turned clockwise, put in reverse made sure turned counterclockwise, I kept shifting her for 5 minutes, than take her for a ride, you saw the hole line up so you should be good to go,