1989 Force 125 Power Trim & Tilt Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJudd

Cadet
Hi,<br />I own a 1989 Bayliner with a Force 125 hp outboard. I'm having a problem with my power trim & tilt. It is working great as far as moving the motor up & down. The problem is that when the motor is up it slowly moves down on its own! I've been reading some of the posts & see that alot of them refer to replacing the o-rings in both the trim & tilt cylinders. How difficult is this to do? Will this alone help the problem? Do you need any type of special tools to do this? I was looking at a Doug Russell Parts Catalog on both the trim & tilt to my boat & it looks like the o-rings can be replaced easily. Must be more to it then just that. Any help would be highly appreciated with this.<br />Thanks,<br />BJudd <br /><br /> :rolleyes: :)

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Force 125 Power Trim & Tilt Problem

BJudd rebuilding your cylinders may help but the problem is more than likely in the pump. I had an 88 125 force with same problem (powerhead self destructed :mad: ) never got to try rebuilding the pump, replaced it with New motor! the cylinders are very simple to rebuild but start using pentrating oil well in advance of attempting to tear down Only special tool in can think of a (Snap On 12 point 1/4 socket) for main trim cylinder bolts P.S. broke 3 sockets before i bought the good ones :rolleyes: Good Luck

clanton

Rear Admiral

Easy one, should be 2 allen head screws on the pump one rearward, one farward. Block engine remove one screw at a time check valve part of screw head. Remove needle and spring from valve assy replace seal on end of needle. Search for photo of valve this site.

BJudd

Cadet

Hi again,<br />Thanks for the response Jomac & Clanton. So you think the problem is most likely in the hydraulic pump. Should I consider rebuilding it or buy another one? In any case if it is the pump it looks like it sure would be easier to replace then the o-rings in the trim & tilt cylinders! Do you happen to know where I could get a pump at a REASONABLE :D price? Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for this pump? <br />Thanks again,<br />BJudd

pic

Cadet

I have an '88 125np Force that did the same thing as yours BJ. It's trim erected fine but prematurely lost it :rolleyes: . When I couldn't find one or even anyone to rebuild the pump I did it myself :confused: . So far it's been working for two years now. What I did was reset the sleeves in the pump that the two pistons seat into, which holds the fluid in the chambers. My pump had three torx head bolts holding the head on (it is spring loaded) kind of tricky to work on ;)

gotsaved

Seaman

hello. i have a 1988 125hp. force that i had the same problem with. i fixed it in about 15 minutes and a 15cent part i bought at a hardware store. there is an alen screw in the back of the pump. take it out then take a small scribe and pull the needle valve i call it out. it's spring loaded. there is an o-ring on it or supposed to be. go to a hardware store and buy an o-ring. it's pretty small but they should have one. put it on the valve and install it like you took it apart. you should be good to go. e-mail me at rdante@gcnetmail.net and let me know if it works.

BJudd

Cadet

Gotsaved,<br />Thanks for writing. I took off the hydraulic pump in order to get to the allen screw as you recommended. The allen screw had layers of paint on it making it difficult to get the allen wrench into the hole. :( I scraped off some of the paint but still can't get the wrench into the screw. The screw looks like its never been removed before so I'm going to have a problem getting it out. Any more suggestions now. I don't want to strip it! :rolleyes: <br />Thanks,<br />BJudd

eric gellasch

Recruit

I have the same, no-hold problem. I replaced the tilt cylinder piston bottom O-ring. The Seloc manual said this is the most common problem. No help. I will try to replace the valve O-rings like recommended here and let you know. Do you have to take the motor off of the boat to access the front allen screw? I assume so. I guess I will try the back first and test before removing the motor to replace the front. I am crossing fingers and toes.

RRitt

Captain

you should remove pump assy from boat. It is easy to damage threads and difficult to seat armature shaft if you leave the electric trim motor on boat.

eric gellasch

Recruit

I took the motor assembly off. There is no "allen screws" that would be removed with allen wrenches. What there is are holes with threads and "snap ring" type of things in them with a metal covering behind it in the hole. The hole is labeled, "manual release". I am assuming that this may be the "allen screw" you people are talking about or there is an error here by the contributors. I am at an impasse. I do not know what to do at this point and will await further instructions/guidance. I will take apart the motor and valve body assembly if I do not get any other recommendations as I am at a loss. The Seloc manual is not very helpful at this point. I have seen a "check valve kit" that appears to be in this "hole" I am describing, the manual release hole. Is this the "check valve" referred to in the Seloc manual? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rsmith5749

Recruit
@ericgellasch

Did you have any luck fixing this issue? Sounds like we have the same tilt and trim pump/motor and I am having the same problem.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
@ericgellasch

Did you have any luck fixing this issue? Sounds like we have the same tilt and trim pump/motor and I am having the same problem.

Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread. This is old, inactive and none of the players except one, are visiting anymore, so you will waiting for a long time.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.