15 HP Chrysler Pullfest

58BigTwin

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I am working on a mid 1970's Chrysler 15 HP. Model number is 152 HC with a Tillotson carburetor # CO10B523 472061 1. <br /><br />When I got the motor it had a spark on one cylinder, changed the coil (another story in itself!). Now it has a reasonable spark when I ground the plug and turn the flywheel by hand (enough to see... and feel if not properly done).<br /><br />I put it on the boat, fired it up and put it in gear. It ran like it was only on one cylinder. Then it conked out and I got blisters from pull starting on it.<br /><br />It seemed like there was not much fuel getting to the cylinders (after all that pulling, the plugs were not very wet). Then it started backfiring (but not starting), and I rowed home<br /><br />The carb float was set about parallel to the carb body when held upside down, and I started the mixture screw at 1.5 turns (but tried many positions getting it to run).<br /><br />Now I know why I LOVE my 9.5 Evinrude.<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />TE

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: 15 HP Chrysler Pullfest

Have you checked to see if your getting spark? There are points under the flywheel too....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Clean and adjust the points at.020 highest point on cam is at the flywheel key. set plugs at .030,be sure the armature plates are not rubbing on the flywheel.<br />Check the fuel flow from the pump to the carb<br />by pulling the line and cranking should be nice strong pulses.If its weak check from the tank to the carb dont forget the dip tube in the tank and the tank vent.Its probably time for a pump rebuild anyway.If pump is strong check carbs and clean and rebuild as required.fuel system problems are very common in an engine that has<br />sat around alot.<br /> Good luck.

58BigTwin

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys. <br /><br />The thing has a spark, the points are set at .020, but the problem seems to be that the fuel is not making it to the clyinders (?)! Pump is working, the float bowl is full. When I pull on an engine 50 plus times with a full choke, I would expect to flood it...at least have wet plugs. Could it be the reeds?<br /><br />The only time I can get it to run (very briefly) is when I prime through the spark plug holes.<br /><br />I am working on it as a favor for a friend. $50 for one and a half days work. I'm ready to give it up.<br /><br />Chrysler engineering is very, well...different. Changing the (riveted on) ignition coil was much more difficult than it needed to be. I'm spoiled by OMC's.<br /><br />Thanks again<br />TE

alcan

Commander

Hi Big Twin<br />Do you have a manual for this rascal? You talk about the coils being riveted? Isn't it just the laminations to the coils that are riveted in place? Don't the coils just silde off the laminations? OK did you check the compression on this motor? The problem you are describing sounds to me like a clasic example of leaking crankshaft seals. It could also be low or no compression in one or both cylinders. A leak in the crankcase halves or possably the reeds. I'm going with crankshaft seals.

58BigTwin

Cadet

Alcan,<br /><br />How right you are. When I bought the parts from the boneyard, the mechanic (also an omc man) sold me the whole timing plate (points and all) cause he couldn't figure it out either. Sure enough the coils slide off the plates (?!). I'm used to the screw down interchangeable omc coils.<br /><br />Checked the compression...Cold, there was marginal compression on the top cylinder (60 lbs), and zilch on the bottom. I did get this thing to run briefly (but it seemed to only run on one cylinder...hmmm). Just goes to show you, check the basic things first. It would make a fair boat anchor.<br /><br />Thanks again<br />TE

alcan

Commander

Hi Big Twin<br />Not so fast. As long as we're messing around lets play all our cards. Do you see any sign why the compression might be low? Is the exhaust cover paint discolored, burnt looking? Has this motor been sitting for a long time? OK here is a long shot. Get yourself a jug of decarb juice (the liquid not the spray). This stuff is sold buy all manufactures under thier own brand names. Yamaha calls it Ring free,OMC engine cleaner,engine tuner,seafoam,etc. Any way tilt the motor so the spark plug holes are up. Roll the worst piston up close to TDC. Pour in a good dose of juice and let it set for a day maybe two. Then repete the same on the other hole. If the rings are just stuck do to sitting there is a chance this will work. If this rascal is all burnt up give it a try any way, there is nothing to loose. Only the cost of the juice.

58BigTwin

Cadet

Alcan,<br /><br />There is no evidence that the engine oveheated, and I don't think the previous owners seized it or I would have heard something nasty when it was briefly running. I think you're right about the rings.<br /><br />I have heard that water cooled 2-strokes gum up the rings, but I guess that I have been lucky so far (1966 9.5, 1969 9.5, 1959 35 hp, 1987 25 hp all omc). That 1959 was sitting for at least 15 years too and it fired right up and runs great after a carb kit and water pump.<br /><br />Is it crappy oil that contributes to the ring problem? For the last 7 years all I have used is Quicksilver and no probs.<br /><br />I'll keep you posted.<br /><br />TE

alcan

Commander

Hi Big Twin<br />I don't know that so called crappy oil really has that much to do with stuck rings. I think long periods of not being used or improper storage and not being tuned has more to do with it. This can and does happen with all piston engines I know of. Of course not having any oil or over heating is a good reason for this phenomonon.

alcan

Commander

Just another thought before you throw in the towel. You may want to check out the head gasket and check for water intrusion. The rings may be ok? Even if you can't fix the thing we have to know why. Don't we?

58BigTwin

Cadet

Alcan,<br /><br />What the dealer had on the shelf was NauticPro internal engine cleaner from OMC (before the buyout). It is an aerosol (all he had) but he said it was good stuff. I sprayed it in the dead cylinder near tdc (to close the ports) and let it sit since yesterday. Nothing yet, but I'll give it a couple of days.<br /><br />This stuff is designed to be sprayed into the carb of a running (already warmed-up engine)-the whole big can- and then let to sit overnight. Then you run the engine to clean out the residue.<br /><br />Is there a better product? I sure would like to get that thing running (and out of my garage).<br /><br />The head gasket looked ok from the outside anyhow. Maybe I'll be able to get the thing running well enough to warm up, and use the product according to label. The mechanic said that it works better when the engine was warm.<br /><br />Thanks for the input and I'll have my fingers crossed.<br /><br />TE

G DANE

Commander

58 Bigtwin<br /><br />you rarely see that headgaskets leak, as the high pressure it between combustion chamber and water chambers. The pressure from water to air is only 10-14 psi, almost any gasket will stand that. Look for water intrusion - or simply pull head and change gasket. Remember to clean the old one off well and correct warping.