Motor Has Bad Miss...............................

jsfpilot2b

Cadet
I have a Force 85hp that has a bad miss after it has been running for about 10 min. The marine shop here says that it's something called a trigger assy. located under the flywheel. They say because it's a 1987 Force it will cost over $500 parts and labor to fix. Does this sound about right or am I getting shafted?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Motor Has Bad Miss...............................

They are not cheap...but 500 bukz? That does sound steep to me. do some searching online for a good price on one. A lawmower shop is usually equipped and knowlagable enough to change one out. The hardest part (and it could be easy as nothin, or allmost impossable) - is to get the flywheel off.<br />Once that is done, the rest of the way in is easy.<br />But before buying a new trigger, confirm the original is indead, bad. Triggers have coils of wire in them. Just like a coil, they sometimes open when they expand from heat. So coils are suspect too. as are fouled plug, holy piston, blown head gasket, switchbox or a grounded-out plug wire. These will all cause a miss as you desribed.<br />Sometimes an intermittant miss like that, is best found on a dark night with the cowling off. Look for arcing around the switchbox,coils,plugs and plug wires.

G DANE

Commander
Re: Motor Has Bad Miss...............................

Hi jsfpilot2b<br /><br />I´d do some extra checking befor i jumped to get parts changed. Try to check the kill wires - i had one that was worn through and lay and sparked to the cowling, giving eratic miss when speeding on water.