86 force @full throttle goes nowhere??help

spitz666

Cadet
i have a 86 forse 50 hp 14 ' bayliner capri. when at very low speeds like in the marina i have no problem. when i go to take off the engine sounds like it's racing but the boat goes very slow. i just replaced the prop with a new one.could it be linkage??? i am stumped ive called every boat place in my area and they couldn't help.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 86 force @full throttle goes nowhere??help

You spun out the hub in the prop. Take the prop off, and take it to a prop shop to have a new hub installed. It wiill cost between 30-50 bucks. Consider carrying an extra trash prop in the bilge for quick change-out.<br />The hub is designed to do this when an obstruction is hit. But they can also fail from repeated hole-shots (much like a clutch on a car).<br />So if you do a lot of tubing or water skiing, a spare prop is very desireable to have in your emergency repair kit.<br />The difference between a car clutch and a hub is, once the hub slips once, it usually fails fast.

spitz666

Cadet

i just had my props checked and there fine. i have a brand new prop on there now and it still has the same problem.its fine in trolling speed but when i try to get it to plane out and go the engine races but the boat doesnt go any faster. any other suggestions. thanx for the quik reply.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Has this motor ever worked right on this boat?<br /> My only thought would be a short shaft on a long shaft boat or the motor has been raised too high on the transom. Maybe something has happened to<br />the bottom of the boat to disturb the water at<br />the prop.?

spitz666

Cadet

as far as i know original engine for this boat. its run like a champ for years. i had the compression checked and they saaid it was like it was never used.only been used 2-3 months a year for strippers in the hudson river.

ob

Admiral

If it's not a spun prop you likely have a problem with the driveshaft splines or the bevel gear to driveshaft connection.Have you marked a spot on the prop hub and barrel and seen if the two marks stay aligned after trying apply full throttle?Just trying to absolutely rule out the possibility of a spun hub.

Link

Rear Admiral

Once again all the advice above given in this forum is great. I have nothing to add about the prop problem. But something to look for on all 1986 Bayliner run abouts with outboards. There was a string or run if you will of boats made that didnt have two braces installed (triangle pieces of plywood fiberglassed between the transom and hull bottom) I only know about this because after doing a tune up on a 1986 run about I backed the boat and trailer into our test tank (looked like a small swimming pool with a boat ramp) and when testing at WOT the foreman shot me a glance that said shut it down! He then came over and told me about the problem and that from across the bay he could see the transom flexing! In 1986 when the boats were new (and came in for thier first service tune up at 20 hrs) they had actually broke a couple transoms in the tank before they found out what was wrong. For average boating this will never be an issue. But if you look and the two braces are not there, it's a easy fix. Just cut two triangle pieces of 3/4 inch plywood and fibeglass them in. One on each side of the motor.<br />Happy boating<br /><br />Link

eric-on-edge

Cadet

I have had this problem in the past. I have a '96 40hp Force on a 20' Pontoon. After having the props check and several cable adjustments it was determined that it was a cavitation problem. Once the motor was positioned properly and is properly trimmed I now have no problems.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe you bought the wrong prop. Maybe too small in diameter or not enough pitch. If all else fails.....lift your trolling plate back up lol!

john from md

Commander

Sptiz,

Go to your boat, assuming it is on land, and take a measurement. Using a straightedge, i.e. ruller, flat piece of metal etc. and lay it on the top of the cavitation plate of your engine accross to your transom. Let us know the measurement from the keel to the the straighedge.

John

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless it is junk, simply put the old prop back on, and see if the problem still exists. If not, then it is the wrong prop.

Just a thought.

Mike