outboard engine troubles & questions

capt ming

Cadet
Recently purchased 1986 50hp force engine. the motor starts and idles perfectly, but<br />as soon as the throttle is engaged it dies. It will only run fast if I hold the choke closed. I cleaned the carb and fuel pump but it didn't help. Any suggestions!

NathanY

Commander
Re: outboard engine troubles & questions

It could be sucking air somewhere, like a pinhole in a fuel line, crack somewhere. It is definately in the fuel system though if it will run with the choke closed. I would check that fuel pump again.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you need to clean the carbs. check the bowls for varnish. Remove all the jets. Soak in Berrymans carb cleaner. Just remove the float bowls, remove the high speed jets and dunk. If you want to dunk the bodies you might have to remove the butterflys and all rubber parts, if any. Berrymans will destroy any rubber. It will expand HUGE. I was thinking since you are having trouble at high speed your bowls are varnished and jet's probally clogged.

NathanY

Commander

It could be sucking air somewhere, like a pinhole in a fuel line, crack somewhere. It is definately in the fuel system though if it will run with the choke closed. I would check that fuel pump again.