Thermostat Question -- Chrysler 55HP '76

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone,<br /><br /> My question has to do with what a thermostat actually does when the water temperature gets to the right temperature. Does it get larger thereby allowing water to pass or is it the opposite?<br /><br /> I'm looking at mine and I just don't have a clue. I put it in a pan and heated it up and I didn't see it do anything. But it is rather corroded so I wonder if that has made it not function properly. I also am having a difficult time seeing how water would actually pass through it.<br /><br /> Let me speculate further... What kind of problems would a stuck thermostat give? It's never overheated, so if it is stuck I guess it would be in the open position. How long is a room temperature thermostat versus a hot one? Sorry for all the questions.<br /><br /> Thanks,<br /><br /> Shane

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thermostat Question -- Chrysler 55HP '76

Thermostates should open when they get hot. If your thermo ar corroded than buy some new ones and compare tham to your old ones. thermostates ara maintance item and should be change every couple years.