OMC Johnson 8 hp 4 stroke question

gsnyder

Seaman
I am looking for a service manual for a "2004" Johnson 8 hp 4 stroke. Is this the same motor that OMC developed in the late nineties, or did BRP make modifications? Would either a Clymer of Seloc manual for Johnson 4 strokes 4-70 HP 1995-2001 be appropriate?

JRJ

Commander
Re: OMC Johnson 8 hp 4 stroke question

I could be wrong, but I think your Johnson was built by Suzuki.

gsnyder

Seaman

JRJ--I had originally thought that Johnson 4 strokes, 4-40 hp, were all made by Suzuki. One of this forum's earlier threads, "Who REALLY makes 4 strokes again" contains a post from pierbridge which says "Suzuki makes all the Johnson 4-strokes except for the 6 and 8 hp models which are OMC's original design..." I also found an article from Trailerboats, 3/9/2005, entitled Marine Power 2005, which says "The 8 hp four-stroke--an engine designed by Outboard Marine Corp. before that company's demise, is gone, however." The dealer where I bought this engine said it's OMC designed, and not a Suzuki engine. None of this, of course, clarifies which after market manual will provide me with service information. But it's an interesting situation.

CATransplant

Admiral

Why not buy the OEM service manual? I'm pretty sure it's available through your dealer. It'd be a lot better manual when you really needed it than one of the Seloc ones.

JRJ

Commander

Another vote for OEM. Even if it was leftover OMC :D Thanks for the info. I had a 15 OMC John/Sue.

gsnyder

Seaman

As always, the simplest solution is often the best solution. Thanks.