force/ decarbon

basszzilla

Seaman
would sombody be so kind as to tell me how to perform this procedure properly. i have a 89 force 85hp.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: force/ decarbon

I found my Force doesn't operate worth a hoot with the additive-type of decarb. So I use Valv-Tect spray decarb cleaner. It is sprayed directly into the carb throat with the motor running at fast idle. It smokes up the nieghborhood right nice too. :eek: <br />Just follow the directions on the side of the can. If I can find it, there is a thread by "DUNK", that walks ya thru the dedicated decarb tank method (something I've never done, but heard that it is the most thourough method).<br />Using the spray, you'll have to go thru the process ,as opposed to just dumping it into you gas tank..Whiuchever method you use, instructions are straight forward (at least the ones I have read).

basszzilla

Seaman

thanks 12. thread by "DUNK"? i have seen this term (thread) on the forum before, dont know what it means.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hi, A "thread" would be a posting, and all of the replies associated with it. So by posting your question, you created a new thread.<br /><br />Decarbing: The fuel additive type is a preventative maintenance step. It will help to keep the engine from building up carbon, as well as aid in keeping your carbs clean and your gas preserved.<br /><br />The spray method is used to remove carbon after it has already built up in the cylinders and exhaust tube. As 12footer says, you spray it in the running engine and break up the carbon. Then you spray some more, enough to choke the engine. Remove the spark plugs and spray directly into the cylinders. Reinstall the plugs. Now let it sit, from 30 minutes to a few hours. Start it up and spray some more into the carbs to flush out all the gunk you have loosened. Remove the spark plugs and either clean them, or replace them.<br /><br />This should keep the rings floating free on your pistons and increase the longevity of your engine, as well as help with starting, compression, and other problems.<br /><br />DO NOT do this decarb procedure on your concrete driveway, or too close to the garage door or side of the house, or you will be spending lots of time trying to get the gunky carbon crud off the drive or vinyl siding.<br /><br />Here is a link to a thread where some guys were dicussing decarbing.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=005445

basszzilla

Seaman

thanks for all the help guys, sounds alot like the old atf down the carb trick.