Please Note: Error in Clymer Shop Manual for Chrysler

speed29668

Seaman
There is an error in the Clymer shop manual for Chrysler outboards regarding pinion nut torque for motors 75 hp and larger. Myself and someone else posted a question on this procedure a few months ago. There are two types of lower units for these motors: A one piece unit and a two piece unit that separates into upper and lower halves. The Clymer manual calls for 85 ft-lbs of torque on the pinion gear nut on all units, both one and two piece, 75 HP and larger. The correct setting is 85 ft-lbs of torque for the one piece lower unit only. The procedure for the two piece gearcase is to place the drive shaft horizontally in a vice and swing the housing while tightening the nut. Tighten the nut to the point where you can barely feel the bearings start to bind and stop there. I couldn't figure out why my bearings were so tight until I found the factory service manual and noticed the discrepancy. If you need a factory service manual they can be bought and immediately downloaded onto your computer for $15.00 at www.geocities.com/thechryslercrew

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please Note: Error in Clymer Shop Manual for Chrysler

speed29668, Thanks for the info. I'm sure others will be interested in this!!!

ob

Admiral

Seems I recall that topic speed and there was some issues as to the shimming being a problem at 85lbs. of torque when bearings were binding before reaching 85lbs.Good bit of info for anyone rebuilding that unit,and big of you to post it.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems to me, it points out again, that people should use a factory service manual Vs Clymers, etc. The one I bought was useless. They didn't even cover the mid-section! I rebought the factory manual (another $40.00). The non factory manuals seem to be too general and cover many years and HP; they miss the small points? I guess you live and learn; some people just live. :( ;)

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got both the Chrysler manual(35-55hp) and the Seloc manual for Chrysler. I must say that the Seloc manual is much more thorough.