Can you ID this Carb?

elbert

Cadet
I'm hoping some of the Chrysler experts out there can help me. I've got a 35 HP Chrysler (355HG, Ser. #1050); I believe its a 1975. The carb kit I got for it is #18-7037. This should have been the right one but the gaskets aren't even close. After looking at my manual closely, my carb doesn't seem to resemble any of the pictures in the manual. Could the carb be from another make or model? The motor is running good right now but I want to rebuild this carb soon. I have posted a picture to the following link (hopefully it worked). Anybody care to take a guess??<br /><br /> http://www.geocities.com/slg300/great_outdoors.html

ob

Admiral
Re: Can you ID this Carb?

elbert, Do any of these parts look like what you need?<br /><br />EDIT:This is the carb kit for 35 evinrude that Clanton and GDANE ID'd<br /><br /> http://outboardparts.com/omc/mall/fuelsystem/7042.asp <br /> <br /><br /> I come up with the same kit # you ordered for 70-75 35hp chrysler.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I think that is an Evinrude/Johnson carbuator,

G DANE

Commander

Hi Elbert<br /><br />Thats an Evinrude Carb, could be any from 35 thru 55 HP. Most of these use the same carb kit - look athttp://www.theshadconnection.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?page=317 # 187022 or 187222.

G DANE

Commander

Sorry Clanton/OB i was typing while you answered, but it sure is a johnnyrude carb. It looks like it has the bracket for the solenoidtype choke - looks like from a 55HP

elbert

Cadet

Thanks guys. :) Looks like I'll need the 396701 repair kit.<br /><br />It never crossed my mind that my Chrysler engine would have an Evinrude/Johnson carb. <br /><br />Thanks again for your help.

ob

Admiral

Thanks to the experienced eyes of Clanton and GDane.

osteospurnum

Cadet

Hi<br />My Evinrude manual calls it a Type IV caburetor which apparently were installed on 50 hp 1971-75 and 76 and 55hp in 76 and 40s since 84.<br /><br />Chris

elbert

Cadet

Thanks again for the help. Anything I need to know about rebuilding this carb that is different? I really don't want to buy a manual just for the carb but if there is anything tricky or unusual about rebuilding this one, then I might have to. <br /><br />I've seen it mentioned on several posts about checking the library for outboard manuals. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

G DANE

Commander

Hi again Elbert<br /><br />Rebuilding this carb is like any other. Pay special attention so the small orifices in top of carb body. Get a kit with the little removeable lead-like plug and clean everything there carefully. Usually all chryslers have Tillitson carbs, but will of coarse work fine with any carb made for a displacement in the neighborhood - no problem.<br /><br />Borrow any clymer/ seloc manual for evinrudes/johnsons 35 - 55 HP - they will have generic advises for carbrebuild of this.