1976 55HP Chrysler won't turn over

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,<br /><br /> I took my boat out last week and it started and ran great. I tried to go out a few days ago and it would not turn over. The only noise I could hear was the choke and a "click." When I turn the key to start it, it just goes "click." I thought maybe my battery was low, since it did great the week before. But I charged her up and it did the same thing.<br /><br /> Oh, maybe I should mention that when I first got to the water last week and tried to start it, it made a weird noise like it was going to try and crank but then it just started clicking. From there on out it only clicked. I wonder if that was the starter spinning or something. It's really hard to say because it won't do it again.<br /><br /> All of the starting system has never been messed with to my knowlege, meaning nothing has ever been replaced. Where should I start?<br /><br />All help is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Shane

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Re: 1976 55HP Chrysler won't turn over

1st if you dont already have one get a manual on your motor, it will answer alot of questions and identify parts for you.<br /><br />2nd I would start by disconnecting all wires associated with the starting system one at a time and clean them really good.<br /><br />3rd you can bypass the solonoid to test both the starter and soloniod on the motor or you can remove the starter and have it tested under load at most auto parts stores.

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Rick,<br /><br /> Thanks for the reply. Can you (or anyone else) explain "how" to bypass the solonoid? My manual doesn't talk about trying to bypass it. If it can be bypassed, what is the purpose of the solonoid?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Shane

ob

Admiral

Turtle1173, Jump the two large terminals on the solenoid (bypassing solenoid coil) and see if motor turns over.If so solenoid contacts are spent.If not you likely have loose or corroded connections on large cable from battery to engine compartment.Post back.PS Be careful around flywheel!!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, and you will need something hefty to bypass it with. The two large lugs on the solenoid are the two ends the solenoid connects together when you try to start it. You may think at first, that the solenoid is just redundant, but it's definitely not. It acts like a big relay. It takes the starter switch (capable of only 5 or 10 AMPS, and it energises a magnet inside the solenoid. This magnet pulls a heavy metal bar across the two big terminals,which can switch up to 80 AMPS for short periods.<br />But RICKRICK1 and OB have given you the best course to go.<br />If you have cleaned all connections at the solenoid, and it still just clicks, and jumping the big terminals (it's normal to get lots of sparks,so make sure there is no gas anywhere near the thing when you try to jump it), then the battery terminals are in need of cleaning too. Clean to shiny metal,or it will just do the same thing when connected.<br />If it turns over, albeit it,leaving weld-marks on your big screwdrivers, than the solenois is shot.<br />It's not uncommon for them to fail,as the internal metal bar used to switch the two big lugs, end-up looking like your big screwdrivers,and then quit. The one on your motor can be replaced with a 10dollar generic solenoid from any auto parts store.<br /><br />If it still wont start, and just welds the screwdrivers, the next step is to have the starter checked. It may be shorted, or drawing too much current. If so, it will need replacement.