Can I ski or what??

Garry Gardner

Recruit
I just brought a 1995 16ft bayliner capri w/ a force 70 on the back. Is it completly insane to think that I (225 pounds) will be able to ski behind it? Will tubing behind it cause motor damage since I only have a 70hp?

Brew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can I ski or what??

I used to have a 15' boat with a 1981 70hp merc. I was able to ski and tube without a problem (I'm about 210lbs). Boat was extremely light though.<br /><br />Took a while to get out of the water with one ski on deep water starts, but it was doable. Much easier to start standing in a foot of water if possible or using two skis.<br /><br />You also might want to look into kneeboards and wakeboards as they don't require as much hp to use.<br /><br />Have fun!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Simply switch to your spare prop thats a few inches of pitch less. That'll take the strain off the motor.<br /><br />Good luck!

Garry Gardner

Recruit

Thanks alot for the advice.<br />I'm am a new boater though, what is my spare prop?

ob

Admiral

Bay, If you have to ask ,I'll take that as a no.Your motor will be under heavier load while attempting to pull skiers.In order to relieve this load and allow motor to develop necessary rpms ,you may need to obtain a propeller of less pitch than the one presently on motor.However, without knowing what your able RPM is at WOT ,am unable to recommend suitable spare propeller ,if needed.Water test it pulling skiers and post back with results .

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Push your front foot toes down, and lift up on your rear foot. Don't try to stand up until the ski is planing. Wa-la!