stern dirve won't raise up?

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice
We bought a used boat this past fall, and I’m trying to get it on a lake sometime this summer. I test drove the boat for about a ½ hour before buying, and all seemed to work. Then we had to winterize the boat and put it in storage for the winter. I’ve been Lubricating, and Tuning it up in the past weeks. Before I started the stern drive would go up and down ok, but you would have to on occasion press the bow up button on the control shifter twice, and the same with the trailer button. At the times that it would not go up, you would not here anything when pressing the bow up button. The other day I changed the stern drive oil, as per instructions. Then I checked the fluid level in the trim pump and it was good. I reinserted the fill/vent dip stick, tightened up and backed off one turn per instructions. I tried to follow the instruction on how to also purge any air from the hydraulic trim pump system, but that I’m not sure of how well I did that. After that I moved the stern drive in the down position, and can’t get it back up. No noise, nothing. I should be able to lower and raise the stern with the engine off and it hooked up to a new battery? The trailer button on the control is not working also.<br /> Did I maybe do something wrong when checking the fluid level in the trim pump? Like maybe not purging the trim pump correctly.<br />I’m new to boats.<br />Trim pump is called a Oildyne/Eaton Pump (old style) and has only a fill/vent plug.<br />I know how to work on mechanical equipment, trace wires, and use multi-meter.<br />Thanks for any help<br /><br /><br />(Description of the Quick Silver control). 1st My remote control shift lever has a release lever at the top of the shifter that allows you to move from neutral to forward or reverse. 2nd it has a rocker type switch for the bow up and down. 3rd it has a button below that labeled trailer. 4th it has a throttle only button below, so you can rev the engine while not in gear.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: stern dirve won't raise up?

Go here and start on page 1C11:<br /><br /> Troubleshooting Trim Electrical<br /><br />Edit: This probably belongs in the I/O repair section and is why it is getting little attention ;)

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

From the description above can anyone help me figure out what model of qUick silver remote control I have in this boat?<br />QC THANKS FOR THE LINK. I've got stern going up and down now. I think there may be something wrong with the 1/2 of the bow up and down button, because when trying to use the bow up button nothing happens. The bow down switch works. I can use the trailer button to bring the stern drive up. So I'm going to trace the wires down for the bow up switch and close the circut to see if it is a bad switch. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm also looking to for more information on how to check level in my Olidyne/Eaton Trim Pump (old style), and how to purge the system of air. My Clymer manual is not to detailed on these subjects. Also how interchangeable are remote control, or do they have to be the same exact same models?<br />Thanks again

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

My best guess, since you have to press both trim up and trailering buttons, is that the trim limit switch is bad. It may also be the wires to the limit switch.

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

The control has one lever, and at the top it has a button to move move forward to reverse. Then along side and face it has a rock type button that has two positions, one bow up and other bow down. Another switch is labled trailer. And last is the throttel only button.<br />Thanks <br />"Also how interchangeable are remote control, or do they have to be the same exact same models?"

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Page 19 on the link QC posted is probably the most relevent. Why do you want to replace the remote?

vipzach

Lieutenant

george, try lowering the front of your trailer (as low as you can) and then lower the drive until it touches the ground, then use the up button on your throttle. I bet you are not getting the drive low enough to use the up button. It is set like that to prevent you from damaging your u-joints while under way. I had the same thing happen to me when I first got my boat, if that is your problem. I am betting that it is! :D

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

gspig, About replacing the remote, I'm just trying to plan ahead. I've looked at page 19, and this is the best one that best fits my problem. "Pump motor runs down, but not up in both manual and auto modes.<br />What is auto mode? Is it the trailer buton? Or, maybe it's something I don't have on this boat. Maybe I just have manual mode. Maybe I've got a bad switch, not sure yet.<br />I've got stern going up and down now. But the only way I can get it up is with the trailer button. As of now the bow rocker switch will only work in the down position.<br />vipzach, You may have something there. I will check it in a bit and let you know after 7pm est today. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I'd guess vipzach is right as well. DOWN works for the full downward travel. TRAILER substitutes as the UP button for a full upward tilt usually for trailering purposes only. The UP button will only work at the very lower limits of travel (within your trim adjustment range). If the drive is too high, the UP button will appear to be dead. <br /><br />I'm guessing nothing is wrong at all...simple operator error/misunderstanding.<br /><br />Your boat likely does not have an AUTO mode, so don't worry about that. I suspect you're just starting to figure out that Clymer's manuals are quite useless for many things....far too vague and generic, and downright inaccurate at times. It's money well spent to get a real Mercruiser service manual if you intend to do your own service.<br /><br />Another suggestoin...you'll get more knowledgeable and helpful advice if you post these types of questions in the "Mercruiser/OMC I/O Repair" thread of this forum, rather than this general boating forum. There's more REAL boat mechanics over there rather than casual weekend wrenchers like myself...<br /><br />Enjoy your "new" boat and welcome to the forum!

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

IT IS WORKING NOW!<br />It was what vipzach said. I just lowered the front and the up button is fine now. Thanks vipzach. I know what you are saying about the book, but I picked the Clymer up on Ebay for 20 dollars. If I can get this boat on the water and it runs for any length of time I'll have to get a better book at some point. craze1cars, I thought that maybe the thread was just on engine questions. Thanks.....again I'll be back real soon...

vipzach

Lieutenant

You are welcome! Glad that was the only "problem" :D ;) Stick around and read the different threads, there are lots of people on here alot smarter than me, and always something to learn about your boat and the ways to make it last along time!

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I plan to....or will have to...you know boats

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Where are you planning on splashing the boat?

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

QC Could you tell me where or how to find the site is that you sent me the link to T/S the trim pump<br />Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner

Shhhhh, it's a seacwit . . . ;) <br /><br />Actually, you can't get there from the home page as far as I can tell. Try figuring it out from this page, that's what I did:<br /><br /> Main Menu<br /><br />If you are familiar with pdf docs and especially menus and links it will be a lot easier. Good luck.

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks OC very much, I will do that.