anchor chain

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hot dipped or zinc plated? Which one works best for anchor chain? :confused:

KRS

Banned
Re: anchor chain

fresh or saltwater?<br /><br />permanent moorage or temporary anchoring?

sloopy

Commander

hot dipped galvanized, or stainless ($$$$)

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where could I get stainless? That sounds great?? What about the plastic coated chain? Any experience? :) :cool:

studlymandingo

Commander

I was diving an artificial reef here in Pinellas county a few weeks ago, found a 20' length of stainless anchor chain! Someone got a grapple anchor entangled in the reef 70' down, what a great find! It looks good on my danforth!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

You can get stainless Steel chain at West Marine but as Sloopy Said $$$$$$$$$$$

sloopy

Commander

Yeah it cost a lot and you are bound to loose it. Stay away from the plastic coated stuff, it will rust inside and it makes worse marks on your boat. Go with the Galvanized.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Studly, How did you get it to the surface? Seems 20 ft of 3/8 or bigger anchor chain would weigh in pretty good.<br /><br />And on the plastic coated, by the time it breaks through and splits the plastic, the inside is in terrible shape.<br /><br />I always did good with galvanized chain and a galvanized anchor (not a Danforth) with a trip capability....been too long, forgot the name of it....thin sharp pointed metal flukes.....held better and was much lighter, plus had the trip capability.<br /><br />Really liked the way a small section of chain made the anchor work so much better.<br /><br />Mark

studlymandingo

Commander

BCD, I inflated, came up, held the chain at the surface, and handed it to my dive buddy once he was back on board. Kept the anchor as well, but it is in my backyard collection as I have no use for a grapple anchor. Like I said it was a great find.