Purpose of a blower on an outboard

AQUADJ

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Blackfin Combi with outboard motors. The location of my bilge blower is doing little to vent anything. Since I have 3 seperate fuel tanks, can anyone recommend where to locate the blower nad if it's necessary?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Purpose of a blower on an outboard

Boat topic.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The purpose of the bilge blower is to remove hazardous fumes from the bilge to prevent fire or explosion.<br /><br />Since fuel vapor is heavier than air, it will sink to the bottom of the area where the tank is located, and any adjacent area to which it can migrate.<br /><br />You don't have to locate the blower there; you can connect the blower's input to hoses that you route there. On multiple tanks, you might fabricate yourself a yoke to connect all three to the blower's input.<br /><br />Plumbing supplies for DWV would work great. You could use a combination of rigid pvc and rubber fittings to make your yoke for your multiple inputs. Then hookup with regular bilge blower hose.<br /><br />Then run the blower for a few minutes prior to starting anything else electrical for that particular outing. Normally ram air will suffice while underway, but with your rig, you might run your blower more often.<br /><br />My 2c,<br /><br />Mark

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Blower's not required unless you have an engine (like the propulsion engine or an APU) with an electric starter motor in the same closed compartment as the fuel tanks.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't matter if required or not. If the guy wants a blower I gave him info on a blower.<br /><br />Mark

tommays

Admiral

It sounds like it was OEM and there for necessary to keep it in running order and use it <br /><br />There could be all kinds of things down there that should not spark BUT could in a malfunction<br /><br /><br />tommays

AQUADJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for the input. That was on line with what I thought but I wanted to get someone elses views. <br />Mark, The yoke idea is a great one that I plan to put to use.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Texasmark:<br /> Doesn't matter if required or not. If the guy wants a blower I gave him info on a blower.<br /><br />Mark
relax...two part question...you covered the first part...the second part was: "...if it's necessary?" ;)