marine mechanic training programs

dc in ms

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />I am considering a career change and have a great interest in marine engine repair. I have researched two schools thus far...mmi in orlando and ami / wyotech in daytona beach. Can any one comment on either of these programs...good or bad?<br /><br />Any advice regarding this interest of mine?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />dc in ms

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: marine mechanic training programs

While I can't comment on either school I have two questions for you. 1) What is your current occupation, and 2) Do you have good analytical skills? The answer to question 1 is more for my curiosity but if you answered auto mechanic I'd say great but if you said Accountant (just as an example) I'd question the career move. As for question two, many people think they would like to be a marine mechanic (or any type of vehicle mechanic) because they feel they are good with tools. The problem is that unless you have great analytical skills, you won't be able to determine "what" to fix. Simply being handy doesn't do you much good and you can't rely on someone else to tell you what to fix. They can teach you how engines work and "attempt" to teach you how to troubleshoot the varius systems but you need that key skill. I'm not attempting to be critical. I have a friend that would have dearly loved to be a pilot but he gets lost in a closet (and jokes about it). Never saw anyone as poor at finding his way about. Hope you get my point. Good luck either way. The marine industry can be very rewarding.

phatmanmike

Captain

ive heard of people coming from all over the country and world even to go to mmi in orlando.<br /><br />that would seal the deal for me

whblaylock

Seaman Apprentice

Ironic. Monday I spent 2 hrs with a mmi recruiter. My son is interested in that after high school. I was impressed with the recruiter who really seemed interested in getting qualified canidates not just warm bodies with $. He said that they have relationships with the manufacturers who have a vested interest in there being qualified techs for their dealers etc... I went in with alot of skeptisism but came out thinking that this was a pretty good place. wh

dc in ms

Seaman Apprentice

Upinsmoke,<br /><br />My background....I am a Nurse Anesthetist...I put folks to sleep in the OR...in my job i watch closely monitors, analyze data and make decisions regarding patient care and safety on a continual basis. Troubleshooting is actually a big part of my job...i like the challenge. <br /><br />Anyways, my off time or home time , i enjoy electrical wiring, carpentry, plumbing, any mechanical work on car, truck, mower, boat. I have taken a welding and electrical class. Recently I read several books on outboard engine repair...purchased a VOM and DVA adaptor...troubleshot my 78 evinrude 175 finding a bad power pack and stator...ordered parts and fixed the problem. I learned then that working on outboards is a lot of fun (trying to figure out the problem) and not as difficult as i had always thought it to be.<br /><br />Anyways, i am thinking of taking some time off from my current occupation and studying marine repair with hopes of cranking up a business (on the side) when i get back.<br /><br />mmi does seem to be top notch from what i have seen and heard.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go for it man! You also have a background that should let you back in if the marine industry doesn't turn out as expected.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I think Go for it too...We need more good marine mechanics!<br />I work on race cars and still get confused working on my boat!

dc in ms

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement...I really appreciate it!<br /><br />dc in ms